Author Topic: Its time to come clean guys go easy on me  (Read 12947 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Its time to come clean guys go easy on me
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Bugger, after all that had a look at the rim today and there's a definite 'flat' on the face of the rim (external face that you'd see with the tyre installed) before it radius's down again. Sadly Pete don't think this is the right rim for your bike....

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
Oh what a shame guys bet you are both well gutted  :'(. They are really hard to detect evidently. I only identified that mine was not correct because of the tell-tale sprocket ring fitted, which was unique to the K1. I even took a cast of it and sent it to ChrisR and he could not be sure but when I showed it to him 'in the flesh' he could identify it instantly as not being 'fully rolled'. Did the guy who sold it to you know what is was from James? I am not sure but I think  late model K0's had a slightly flattened rim. We need to ask James May  ::) as he has a genuine K0 transition model from France. To be honest I think that rolled rim is an obsession /numbers/money thing. It's not quite the same as the original ducktail seat, which to me, is a thing of true beauty. I looked at Vic Worlds eBay feedback when he sold the blue pp bike. He had sold a dealer take off seat for over $2k in around 2006 (date may be wrong) wow!!
For everyone who doesn't know what I mean take a look at the photo attached of YLY70H, the UK  press bike, I believe after restoration. Not even a Yamiya repro looks exactly  like that, with it's distinctive dual step and pronounced ducktail. The original foam was evidently of block construction and decayed very quickly. Surely someone could repro it exactly using the original idea of a harder piece in the 'ducktail'. I gather the Yamiya red foams are one piece/single hardness.

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:38:48 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »
Never mind about the rim they are proving to be quite rare,
is the duck tail  seat original ?  then what seat does the yamiya copy as is quite different to that

pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2014, 02:47:54 AM »
Never mind about the rim they are proving to be quite rare,
is the duck tail  seat original ?  then what seat does the yamiya copy as is quite different to that

pete

Not sure Pete but the pic of YLY certainly look like the seat I remember seeing as a schoolboy ogling at the K0 in the window of the Honda dealers near to my house in 1970. Also if you look at the picture attached of Dick Emery's bike, it looks the same. I think the Yamiya cover or 'skin' as they call it, is correct but the shape of the foam is different and not dual hardness (i.e the hump is not harder than the foam blocks). The original foam was block construction of many pieces and didn't age well. I would think any originally fitted seat from 69/70 would have aged quite badly now, even if it was a 'dealer take off or even NOS. Also, Mick's 750 seat looked the same when he bought it off Eamon but I don't want to post a pic without Mick's permission.
Evidently YLY70H may be coming up for sale after disappearing for many years. Rumour has it at the next Stafford show Bonhams but that's just gossip really. I should leave the gossiping to the missus  :D

Cheers .... Ash
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:09:28 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 06:56:33 AM »
It amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site.
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »
Hi Pete I have what's left of my Ducktail seat the red foam and the seat base,  the foam needs attention to the lower edges and same for the pan, it's yours for the price of postage , I don't want to throw it away as it may be of use to someone? cheers Mick  ;)

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcpuffett/media/07_zpsc4fed97f.jpg.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:35:38 AM by mick »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2014, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi Pete I have what's left of my Ducktail seat the red foam and the seat base,  the foam needs attention to the lower edges and same for the pan, it's yours for the price of postage , I don't want to throw it away as it may be of use to someone? cheers Mick  ;)

See what I mean about that ducktail bit at the back Mick/Pete. If Pete takes it, whicH I am sure he will, it may be worth getting a CAD drawing of the profile at the ducktail and I could get the foam hardness analysed.

Cheers .. Ash

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
attached a nice pic of the correct fully rounded, sandcast early K0 rear rim.

Cheers ... AshD

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »
Pete is this where Will sourced your side stand?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221507878292

Cant seriously believe they're asking £180 for this....??

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
James
Should be more like 1.80 and free post these people live in cuckoo land
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
yep i recon that is where it came from,
pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »

Hi mick thanks for the offer, i have a red foam seat in similar condition so i will pass on that, ash might have it
pete

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
No worries i'll stash it in the loft someone may make use of it in years to come ?  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
Mick I could make use of the pan and foam if that's ok with you?

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »
Yeah no prob's James leave it with me and i'll get some postage quotes for you cheers  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal