Author Topic: Its time to come clean guys go easy on me  (Read 12905 times)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Its time to come clean guys go easy on me
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »
I will always love the Sandcast it's that chopper bobber thing I can't get my head around.
Pete I'm looking at you. :P

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 09:29:40 PM »
Yeah Pete for a man of such good taste what's that all about ? ( :-) joking - I get it...)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »
Guys , Just remember variety is the spice of life

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
+1 from me with James  Pete ...  sorry for hijacking your thread earlier BTW :-[

I know what everyone is talking about with the snobbery thing. I think the K0/sandcast thing is definitely an unhealthy obsession. To be honest the CB750 never really interested me back in the day, I always hankered after a 500/4 as my first ride on one was mind boggling after the CB250k's I had previously owned and it was widely publicized in the press that the 500/4 was a better bike overall than the 750. Then I left uni and bought an almost new 400/4 followed by three more (still have the last one). A chance meeting with a guy in 2008 at my mate in York's garden party, when all three of us went to his outbuilding, to see his Commando revealed the other guy had the 750K0 and it was a very early UK one. He had just got divorced and realised he would never restore it and bought a Porsche instead. A couple of breakers were after it (one is a mate from Uni too) so I went away, pondered and then bought it before they snapped it up and they  broke it for spares. Then the obsession began and a wander over to the SOOC made things a whole lot worse. I wish I could just bung all the perfectly good, but not necessarily correct,  parts on it and just finish it off  but I can't. I trawl around eBay buying what turns out quite often  to be overpriced junk quite often. I even did consider buying one of the four sandcasts Freddie had myself and bunging all of my K0 part onto it but luckily someone else got there first.. phew. To be fair to Pete, the engine looks pretty good so I think personally he got a pretty decent buy at the price. He probably took a punt on it and I do believe it will come good for him in the end. Problem with me is I also bought a really early '69 CB250K0 too and the whole thing repeats itself with rare first year parts, compounded by the fact that the bleedin classic racing fraternity buy up all of the decent hard to find engine parts ! I am under no illusions at all it's an illness and I don't know the cure !

Funnily enough when I got my really nice Parakeet Yellow 400/4F2 nicked from work, I bought a lovely KZ650B1 as an interim. It was a great bike, wire wheels, fast, reliable, standard  but someone offered me good money for it and I sold it without hesitation. I have no feelings for it and no desire to own another one. So what's all this obsession with Honda's all about then?

Back to me Ginger beer .. Hey I must go off and type CB750K0 into eBay 'just in case'  :(

Cheers .. AshD
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:31:17 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2014, 08:48:52 PM »
I might as well come clean as well then. Have a k0 of my own on the way (sadly not a sandcast, but a Jan '70 k0 purchased from the original owner!!).

when does this beauty arrive james
pete

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Its time to come clean guys go easy on me
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
Prob Oct Mick..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:29:30 PM by Jamesh_sussex »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2014, 09:38:54 PM »

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:22 PM »
I changed it - replied to Pete then corrected it as was you (Mick) who asked. Confused ? :-)

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2014, 12:28:19 AM »
 ;) just to chuck another spanner in the works. or add fuel to the fire  :-\
 I have to agree that the k1 was probably the best of all the cb750s as from a riders point of view as already stated it has the better carbs whist retaining the loud pipes plus a host of other minor tweeks like smaller side panels bigger fork seals stronger airbox ,but they should have kept the plastic clocks .and they sold more k1s than any other models so that speaks volumes for me
 people will always want the early stuff because that was first model e.g k0 cb250 I had a k2 although no real changes from k0 it was faster than k3 early zed900s the zed1000 was a better bike
k0 cb750s because that's all we had in uk and k1 was more refined k2 went slower
the early fireblade was a game changer I had a 94 foxeye rrr with better suspension but every model got better every year
 Honda always made improvements that is why they are still the biggest and best
so each to his own really you want a sandcast then get one and enjoy it for what it is ,bikes are still fun whatever you ride or restore
just don't expect a crock of gold at the end of the rainbow  ;)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
I changed it - replied to Pete then corrected it as was you (Mick) who asked. Confused ? :-)

i asked when the ko was coming, i thought your reply{ oct mick was} reffering to my post, and you had confused me with mick

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »
;) just to chuck another spanner in the works. or add fuel to the fire  :-\
 I have to agree that the k1 was probably the best of all the cb750s as from a riders point of view as already stated it has the better carbs whist retaining the loud pipes plus a host of other minor tweeks like smaller side panels bigger fork seals stronger airbox ,but they should have kept the plastic clocks .and they sold more k1s than any other models so that speaks volumes for me
 people will always want the early stuff because that was first model e.g k0 cb250 I had a k2 although no real changes from k0 it was faster than k3 early zed900s the zed1000 was a better bike
k0 cb750s because that's all we had in uk and k1 was more refined k2 went slower
the early fireblade was a game changer I had a 94 foxeye rrr with better suspension but every model got better every year
 Honda always made improvements that is why they are still the biggest and best
so each to his own really you want a sandcast then get one and enjoy it for what it is ,bikes are still fun whatever you ride or restore
just don't expect a crock of gold at the end of the rainbow  ;)

The K1 is no doubt the best of both worlds, i love my k1 it is an unrestored survivor a true beauty of a bike and i bought it at a sensible price, however i always prefered the k0 look and tried really hard to find a nice early one, i thought one would never turn up, then bang! i see fatfreddy had a real early 69 one, well wild horses cound't stop me from going up and getting it, this then led me to the sandcast fascination but i new i could only look and not afford a sandy even though the early k0 in essence is virtually the same
then i see will (freddythefatfrog) had 4 of them but i had no money, i watched as one by one they sold only leaving the basket case i still could not raise the money, i was emailing him asking him all sorts of questions trying to find a reason not to buy it, then i had a brainwave f-ck the Isa it was giving me 1% interest , i see will drop the price down £500 so i took the plunge, i am now happy as larry it will take me a few years to restore k0 and sandcast but then i will have the set, i dont have to wait for the crock at the end of rainbow  owning, restoring , riding  and posting on here will be my reward,
The F2 is by far the most superior of the 750 sohc bikes, and i really like these as well, trouble is they cost lots to restore properly, but have yet to command decent prices , i have a few more f2,s in the stash but i will sit on them for a few more years

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
That's how i bought my K2, just had to convince her in doors money
was no good in the ISA trouble is money i have spent it will take a few years to recoup. Still riding it makes me smile ;D ;D ;D
And i get out from the jobs at home.
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »
Pete .. Did you get the PM I sent Re: passing the rolled rim onto you, for yor sandcast, that James has? Don't what it is but I sometimes find PM's don't send properly.

Cheers . .Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 04:29:38 PM »
Yep got the pm ash, thats very kind of you, i am not sure if it is a rolled rim or not james is going to get me a different picture
i will keep you posted
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal