Author Topic: Progress so far, CB750 K1 General export  (Read 2183 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Progress so far, CB750 K1 General export
« on: February 15, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
I said to JamesH I'd put a couple of photos up when it was finished, so we compare and contrast with his. It's not finished, but then will it ever be? The cambox needs polishing for a start, but I refuse to take a sweetly running engine out for cosmetic reasons.

You see what I mean about the alarming sidestand angle. My mate suggested that in countries where they drive on the right (speedo is in kph) the short stand might suit roads with a heavy camber, in the Uk the opposite is true.

Of course she has been on a heavy diet of these. I shall be expecting an invite to the David Silver Xmas party this year.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Progress so far, CB750 K1 General export
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »
nice bike mrdavo, i could fill a bloody shipping container with the parts i have bought from silvers but i doubt he would even give away the steam from his piss lol
You could probably give that rocker cover a polish with engine in , what are your  plans for this bike
pete

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:39:07 PM »
what are your  plans for this bike
pete

Hang on to it, and generally ride the tockers off it. Not sure of how good a job I could do of polishing with the cambox in situ, but worth considering.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
Very nice indeed. That's a credit to you and the work you've done has finished the job brilliantly. James

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
The alarming angle is often caused by the bolt hole wearing and causing a sloppy stand.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments.

Here's a closeup of the general export 'batwing' sidestand and the rigid footrest.The hole in the frame bracket seemed OK, but I will have another look at it ( welding it up would be fun - do try not to set the bike alight....), the main insurmountable  problem is the stand is just so ridiculously short! It will only get used in emergencies, otherwise it's the centerstand or a handy wall. I wonder if the stand is aimed at the Asian gentleman with the shorter inside leg measurement (but how does he get the bike upright again?). Lots of 'home market' K1s this colour were sold in Japan (NLA for the K1 in Europe or North America, candy blue green was only available over here as a K0 colour) , though they have the big red speed restrictor light on the instrument bracket. They also had the batwing side stand, lending some credence to my inside leg theory.

Ive just noticed that allen screw on the gear lever, it is evil and must be replaced with the original bolt. The bike was covered in allen screws when I got it, I have gone back to original screws, even though they are made of silver chocolate (I also had a fetish about number 8 bolts for a while). There's still the odd allen screw lurking, such as the tiny chrome one on top of the headlamp holding the rim on to the shell. Very neat, but when my electrics go awry I need to get in the headlamp, and then I realise the only allen key that fits is at home in the garage.  >:(

In my 40 odd years riding I've found electrical gremlins are rare on a properly maintained Honda, after thousands of miles on Hondas (as well as lots of other bikes) and racing a couple of them, a V4 NC30 and a CBR600, I don't recall ever actually breaking down on a Honda. Ever. Run out of fuel and walking, bits fallen off because they weren't tight any more or crashed and either the bike or me too undef*ckable to carry on, loads of times.

Before anyone really picky picks me up on it, I know the gear cover shouldn't have the shift pattern if its pre K4, but I picked up a full set of virgin NOS engine covers on eBay (alternator gear and clutch) for £200 in Honda bags and a D Silver box and couldn't resist using them for the 'new' finish, better than any finish I could get. I was just lucky it was there on eBay the one time I searched  for those part numbers. Some one must have bought those parts for a bike that never got done.

When I got the bike, as imported from Durban, South Africa, those 3 cases, as well as the fork bottoms had a slightly sandblasted finish, which let the bike down, as well as one K0 Sidepanel on the left, a K0 airbox, which looked really odd on the right, blue original K1 sidepanel next to blue airbox.

The high bars had the wires on the outside of the bars, fixing that was a bit of a nightmare.

As far as the camcover goes I'll leave well alone for now. One slip polishing in situ and I'll mark the head and then bad things will happen.  :(

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:23:36 AM by MrDavo »
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal