Author Topic: Restoration of Sandcast Frame 5369/ Engine E5479  (Read 27232 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of Sandcast Frame 5369/ Engine E5479
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 04:11:38 PM »
He spends hours cleaning it to sweeten up the wife so she is ok with him using it for engine parts
pete

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
That is the amazing thing, the oven was brand new and she didn't hesitate to let me use it for curing paint, definately a keeper.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
When you think about it. It is only a lump of metal, just like a baking tray. Always be careful when doing heads, always replace the valve guide O'rings. And if you wish to splash out, you could put some K-liners in.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »
Just realised i have not updated this thread on here yet i have on the sandcast forum so i have copied it over

I had a few hours spare today so i got the frame out for inspection, well i have to say the frame is very solid, it is hard to believe that its 45 years old, frames dont stay in that conditition here in the UK

Anyway the only repair needed to the frame is the side stand bracket, it seems quite common for these brackets to get ripped off, usually by kickstarting the bike while standing on the footpegs with it on side stand

Out with the chisel and angle grinder and off with the remains of the old bracket

My new side stand bracket arrived , i have to say fair play to will from classic bike imports  (the guy i bought this bike from) he kindly sent me a piece of frame with the bracket on , so i ground off the welds and got the bracket off and cleaned it up  ready to weld on

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 06:17:39 PM »
Yes keep it coming Pete... spot on thread  :). When I get my parts together for my K0 I will start a resto. thread on it and my 250K0 too. Nearly there with the bits for them now.
Funnily enough my '69 UK K0 had a very nice frame with hardly any corrosion. I had it power coated (sorry Kettle738 ! ) but my 400/4 was stove enamelled by the 'Nutter Brothers'. Going to smooth Hammerite my CB250K0 as I have some NOS stuff before they changed its formula.

Cheers .. Ash

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »
Thanks Ash, talking about powder coating frames i think for our uk climate it is a good idea, i realise honda probably sprayed the early frames and very thinly at that
but i like the powder coated look, i have done my f2 and k0 with powdercoat, however i am undecided on the sandcast, perhaps i should spray it
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 11:14:22 PM »
Thanks Ash, talking about powder coating frames i think for our uk climate it is a good idea, i realise honda probably sprayed the early frames and very thinly at that
but i like the powder coated look, i have done my f2 and k0 with powdercoat, however i am undecided on the sandcast, perhaps i should spray it
pete

I think I have read somewhere that the CB750's frames were coated with a very very crude early  form of powder coating that's why there is the mysterious funny grey coating under the black. May have dreamt it though ::)

Cheers .. Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline sand5858

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »
Hey Pete.
I would also like to join in with a congratulations on your new project. You have happily taken a lot of pictures of all your projects, unfortunately I did not and I regret it now because a part of the restaurant is also taking pictures and maybe help others.
Have you thought about were you are going to buy a new front fender to the Honda- Yamiya  I'm even looking for a new front fender for my bike his is expensive but god repro..
Having written this into Google translate hope you understand this.

Only if you are interested I have a cam cover unfortunately cromed, and a brake caliper
Regards
Tony

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 07:31:55 PM »
Hi tony , I am on the look out for a caliper and front guard the yamiya front guards are to expensive,the ones from Vietnam are very poorly made, good secondhand ones are. Difficult to find  so I will wait to see what turns up, I would be interested in your caliper let me know if its tokico 1 or 2 and how much you want,
It gives me great pleasure to photo every step of the restoration , and makes ne very happy that people enjoy looking
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »
Hi tony , I am on the look out for a caliper and front guard the yamiya front guards are to expensive,the ones from Vietnam are very poorly made, good secondhand ones are. Difficult to find  so I will wait to see what turns up, I would be interested in your caliper let me know if its tokico 1 or 2 and how much you want,
It gives me great pleasure to photo every step of the restoration , and makes ne very happy that people enjoy looking
Pete

Don't agree on the Vietnam front fender Pete. I bought one unchromed and showed it to ChrisR and he said he would happily fit one to one of his bikes, so his endorsement was good enough for me. But you have to hassle 'Eric' that you want a good one and to take extra care. Those Yamiya ones are just a plain ripoff. Maybe it's because Eric thought I was a  'female' Ashley  :-[ until Kerry on the SOOC put him right.

Cheers Ash
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:49:37 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
Pete

Don't agree on the Vietnam front fender Pete. I bought one unchromed and showed it to ChrisR and he said he would happily fit one to one of his bikes, so his endorsement was good enough for me. But you have to hassle 'Eric' that you want a good one and to take extra care. Those Yamiya ones are just a plain ripoff. Maybe it's because Eric thought I was a  'female' Ashley  :-[ until Kerry on the SOOC put him right.

Cheers Ash
Kerry is a girls name isn't it?
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline sand5858

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Hi Pete.
I've been out in my garage to see the brake caliper I was talking about but unfortunately it is a Tokico 8 I have not so good for your Sandcast.
I will check up with a few friends if they have a Tokico 1 or 2

Regards
Tony

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

Pete

Cheers Ash
Ash have you got any photos of the Vietnam fender. I may need to order a couple (don't mind chroming them)..James

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »

Pete

Cheers Ash
Ash have you got any photos of the Vietnam fender. I may need to order a couple (don't mind chroming them)..James

Will do it over weekend. Mine is not chromed yet. If polished I was quoted 35 GBP to chrome it by Quality Chrome in Hull as there should be no prep work. I only wanted the blade undrilled but he sent me the lot. He hand makes them but told me he also has a press tool but it belongs to his Japanese customer who won't let him press them for a third party. Have not spoken to him since 2011 so will send him an email.

Cheers ..Ash
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:33:52 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Restoration of Sandcast Frame 5369/ Engine E5479
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
Thanks Ash appreciate it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal