Author Topic: Restoration of Sandcast Frame 5369/ Engine E5479  (Read 27237 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of Sandcast Frame 5369/ Engine E5479
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »
I stripped a sand cast frame about 10 years ago and the front part was stove enamel but, the rest was a black paint over a orange/red lead base primer. I stove enameled the frame in the end because i could not find what it should be. 

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Hi Pete, So the engine was a real good 'un and likewise the frame, so all that tosh from people on SOOC saying it was a basket case was rubbish. Jealousy probably  ::) So glad for you mate. It's always a risk buying 45 year old stuff and there are loads of sharks out there but sounds like it's come good for you. I must agree that I was crapping myself leaving my rare K0 frame with someone else.
I think people are mixed on powder coating. Kettle738 hates it but ChrisR always uses it, for sake of durability plus he actively rides all of his bikes including sandcasts. I did read somewhere, but probably dreamt it in reality  ::), that the CB750 was coated in a really early form of powder coating, and there is always a strange light-grey coating under the 'paint' on the unmolested frames I have seen. There was a guy from Leeds on our cruise propping the bar up every night and turns out he owns the largest powder coating company in Leeds. As soon as I told him I knew about powder coating, he filled me in on all of the technicalities. He says he's got abrasive blasters but also a chemical dipping plant that will remove powder coating. He told me that the process is over well over  50 years old, which surprised me. Sadly, he had also just latched onto a dodgy Glaswegian couple who were totally pi**ed and the guy pinched my wife's ar*e, so I backed out of what was an interesting conversation :(  Should be able to trace him though (the powder coater guy, not the Glaswegian !)

cheers  ... Ash
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:29:55 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2014, 07:00:02 PM »
Yes your right ash the two most important parts of the sandcast are the frame and engine and yep thank goodness they are real good, the rest of the parts crop up all over the place, as you know my finance situation has stopped me buying any big ticket items , like chrome and other bits but there is no excuse for not getting stuck in with hard restoration work myself, so that is what i am doing, i had so many pm's from people on the sandcast site and over here  saying just buy the sandcast or someone else will and you will regret it , to be honest i had in my mind already committed to buying it , i dont listen to the negative comments , i know what i like and want in life , i still get excited when i think of how my sandcast and K0 will come out eventually, now that is an illness ha ha
As for spraying the frame verses powder coat , there is another element you have to consider, for example whatever surface the baster leaves is what your going to get on your finished frame , for example my k0 frame must of had forward footrests or crash bars at one stage of its life, where they fix to the frame the clamps were over tightened and left indents in the frame, these are clearly visible as are many other marks, where as if you do yourself there is the chance to perfect the finish if you require
What did your wife say when he pinched her arse LOL
Pete
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »
Yes your right ash the two most important parts of the sandcast are the frame and engine and yep thank goodness they are real good, the rest of the parts crop up all over the place, as you know my finance situation has stopped me buying any big ticket items , like chrome and other bits but there is no excuse for not getting stuck in with hard restoration work myself, so that is what i am doing, i had so many pm's from people on the sandcast site and over here  saying just buy the sandcast or someone else will and you will regret it , to be honest i had in my mind already committed to buying it , i dont listen to the negative comments , i know what i like and want in life , i still get excited when i think of how my sandcast and K0 will come out eventually, now that is an illness ha ha
As for spraying the frame verses powder coat , there is another element you have to consider, for example whatever surface the baster leaves is what your going to get on your finished frame , for example my k0 frame must of had forward footrests or crash bars at one stage of its life, where they fix to the frame the clamps were over tightened and left indents in the frame, these are clearly visible as are many other marks, where as if you do yourself there is the chance to perfect the finish if you require
What did your wife say when he pinched her arse LOL
Pete
pete

Well it's funny cos another guy had just pinched the Glaswegians wifes ar*e and for some reason she had had a go at the guys wife using the dreaded 'C' word, which my wife can't stand, so Cathy (my wife ) walked away and then got here own pinched. She writes plays so it all went down in the little book.

My K0 frame is still bare if you need any seat bracket measurements but I guess you can get these off your K0 anyway.

Cheers ... Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
Thats funny about ash ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i contacted will about the brackets but the frame he has is on ebay and i cant justify the asking price for two small brackets,
richard is going to look into making up the brackets, so i will see how that pans out, and he will be able to take measurements from his k0 hopefully
pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »
Thats funny about  the wifes arse ash ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i contacted will about the brackets but the frame he has is on ebay and i cant justify the asking price for two small brackets,
richard is going to look into making up the brackets, so i will see how that pans out, and he will be able to take measurements from his k0 hopefully
pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
Inspection of a 1969 sandcast swing arm pivot  assembley

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
Pete
who is doing the inspection you or the animal mate? ;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
That arm pivot looks fine from here Pete. Is it OK up close and personal?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
The rabbit says its fit for purpose, i trust his judgement

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
I could do with pulling a wabbit out of a hat he seems to accomplish more than me.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2014, 08:10:50 PM »
Dont they all brill but here if you see a wabbit some numb nuts blows its head off
Sad
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline martin_uk

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »
As you can see from my previous post i am tackling the blasting and painting of my frame myself,this is for two reasons, number 1 is i just dont trust anyone to do it with the same care and attention that i will, and reason 2 is i usually powdercoat but this de values the sandcast , it is a big no no when you speak to any sandcast owner restorer, oh yes there is a third reason , i do not have the money to pay someone else
Yesterday i thought this would be a doddle probably an hour or two's work, how wrong could i be, my blaster just was not getting through the two layers of paint very quickly if atal in places, so i whipped out and got some paint stripper, quick word of advise do not ever by nitromores stripper, its expensive and totally shit, it just would not lift the paint, so i was out side till 11 last night trying to scrape off soft paint with a stanley blade and then go over it with a scotchbrite wheel on the drill, this got a good deal of it off so this morning i did more scraping , more blasting and more scotchwheeling and ended up with a shiney bare metal frame, all i can say is thank goodness that is over
now i have the problem of finding a doner frame and getting the seat hinges cut off and welded on to my frame as some mother f--er ground them off, as well as the side stand bracket which i have just done
now with all this moisture in the air at this time of year it would be stupid to leave it bare metal, so i have sprayed it up with some rust preventing primer till i get the seat bracket  situation sorted, that way it wont start rusting in a hurry, i also wrapped it in a blanket then boxed it up and have stashed it
Take a look there is absolutely no rust on this frame, the very light surface rust that was there came clean off with the blaster, so them two layers of awkward paint done the job, other than the ground off brackets you could not wish for a better 45 year old frame
pete

[imghttp://cb750sandcastonly.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10004/sandcast_008~2.JPG]http://[/img]

I see you are after seat hinges.

I have a later K frame CB750-2106621 that could be used as a donor if they are the same?

2014_1117kframe0004 by nitram2010, on Flickr

2014_1117kframe0001 by nitram2010, on Flickr

The projections are 15mm wide and 54mm from edge to edge
1977 CB750F1
1977 CB750f1 836
1978 CB750F1
1975 CB500K1

Triumph Street Triple 675R
Ducati 800 Icon Scrambler
Triumph 3TA
AJS 350 mod16
BSA BantamD1
Honda C90zz
Honda CB500X
BSA WD B40 350

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
Hi Martin there is a guy on here Called rich (RGP750), he has kindly agreed to make me some hinges , using his K0 as a template, he even mentioned about making a fitting jig so i can weld them in the correct place,
Just out of interest is your frame a scrap frame?
pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
I hope not took me ages to find a frame even a k2.Dont canablise for the sake off it.
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal