Author Topic: 1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »
Hi Gents…  Another dopey question so please bear with! 

I'm overhauling the front forks.  I've removed the dust seal and retainer with no trouble.  But removing the 6mm "socket bolt" is a different story, rather than being able to remove it to facilitate removal of the "fork pipe" the bolt just loosened and spins.  This is the same for both fork legs.

I've drained them of oil and removed the spring…  Could this be the issue?  Should I have left springs in until the 6mm allen bolt was removed?

Anyoldhow I'm a bit flummoxed, any help would be much appreciated?

On the other hand…  spent the day grinding bits and bats off the frame, unwanted lugs etc.  That went really well!  So off the Barnsley next week to get the seat hoop welded and then off for stripping and powder coating the frame and ancillaries…

Many thanks

Liam

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
Liam
Yes it does help to leave it fully assembled.What I do is put some freeing agent on it leave it a while then use a blunt instrument the same size as the bolt head like a T bar making it a bit like a impact driver and give it a sharp belt with a hammer.Usually comes UN done then drain and strip.
Best of luck
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
If the bolt in the bottom just spins cut down a broom handle so it's a snug fit put the chrome nut back on and then the bolt should come out.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »
Many thanks gents...  The allen bolt is the first thing to come out after the oil is drained.  The spring holds everything in place to enable the bolt to be fully unscrewed and withdrawn…  Doh!

Till next time.

Cheers

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
Liam,

I usually take that bolt out first while the leg is still on the bike.
I use a ratchet strap to put some tension on the leg, this stops the inner from spinning when you try to undo the bolt.
Never failed yet and simple.

Regards,
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal