Author Topic: The Project Begins  (Read 3714 times)

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
The Project Begins
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:30:42 AM »
So, I've finally been sucked into a project so far that I actually started it!  Most projects keep to the "Idea" phase and never get off the drawing board.  This time, I've taken that first step and bought the bike.

I wanted to share the "Before" pictures.  I enjoy this stuff too so I figured you all might also.  I'm always open to thoughts/ideas/criticism/suggestions… etc, so please say what ever is on your mind about this, good or bad.

I have a more than two or three pictures so I'm posting a link instead of taking the bandwidth to post them all here.  The link is to a folder in my photo gallery on Deviant Art and should not contain any kind of spam or pop-ups.

Hope you all enjoy the pics,
Chris

http://christophersacry.deviantart.com/gallery/50808724/Devious-Folder

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
Re: The Project Begins
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
Crikey, got a project there. Looks like mostly there though.
Hope it didn't cost megga bucks (assuming it's a usa import).
Be nice to see the progress,plenty of help on here should you need it.
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:32 AM »
Something very strange looking with that front wheel. There is too much gap between the wheel and the mudguard. Good luck with it.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »
Hi Chris. Looks like a lot of work but depending on your plans should be do-able. You going to fully restore or cafe it? Looks like a Us import k2? I think the front tyre looks wrong profile / flat hence the massive gap? Let us know your plans. James

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »
The build date is 6/72.  I was told it was a '73 model year.  I thought the front tire looked strange because it was just flat.  If there is any other reason for it, I have not found out yet. 

The engine and frame were all I was interested in.  It'll be a Cafe Racer when I'm done.  First thought was to build it for my daughter, but if it turns out too nice I'll have to build her a different one ;-)  I already have a set of GL-1000 forks on the way and also have a set of R1 forks.  Not sure which way to go with it yet.  I'm looking forward to this, but I'm also not in a hurry.  I'll bring this thread back and post pics as it goes for sure.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
Pretty sure that's a k2 chris, because it has the earlier type front forks and the unicorn upper triple tree. What's the vin/eng number and we can confirm. K2 is a nice basis for a cafe racer so enjoy.

One thing to note about the gl1000 front end is that it is VERY heavy compared to a modern front end. Also make sure you look carefully at the trail that a modern triple tree yields - most have a different offset compared to the sohc stock setup so you may need a custom triple tree.

Enjoy...

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
Well, It looks like I have a K2 after all.  No telling how many years this thing had been sitting before I got it so I'm not surprised the seller was wrong.  He bought it to restore also and just had too much going on.  Such is the way it goes.

So, the engine number is: CB750E-2050711
The vin number is: CB750-2042888

This should be fun  :)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
Chris, don't forget to keep all the parts you do not require. We are always on the look out and i have a K2 arriving around mid September that will need a few bits.
Do you know for the look you want to finish with?

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
If you can wrap your head around it, the look I want is somewhere in between these two images:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/186/9/3/honda_cb_750_fab_four_cafe_racer_by_obiboi-d561hhz.jpg

and

http://bihamoto.sk/content/images/articles/73.jpg

The tank will be the biggest part and there's no way I can totally put it in words.  One of the main things I wanted to do was relocate the oil tank into the front right corner of the gas tank and use a double filler cap set up on the top of the tank like you would see on some GP race bikes, one cap for gas and the other for oil.  I can picture it in my mind very well, and I used to do metal work so I know I could make it happen given access to the proper tools - an English Wheel and a metal stretcher.  The length of the tank would be closer to the first link on the drawn up race bike.  No idea what colour I want it though.  It must have a tail of some sort.  I don't like the stubbies much. 

The shocks on the back need to be relocated to give more angle and thus a softer ride.  I watched Husqvarna do this on their desert bikes in the late 80's.  I want to keep the dual rears though - no mono shock, and I'm not looking for a soft ride, just softer than it has now.  I already have a few different plans in my head on how to do this.

One thing about putting on the GL front end, I picked up another disk rotor and I want to see if I can add it to the opposite side of the stock hub to see where they fall in relation to the calipers.  I would absolutely love it if Honda used the same rotors on the GL as the CB and adding that second rotor would give me the dual set up I want (but I'm sure it won't happen).  For the rear I would like to add a disk and the easiest way I can see that happening right now is to pick up the conversion kit from cyclexchange.com.  I want to keep spokes on it if possible.  Maybe a rear off a CBX1000 with a disk, then I could just work it for the caliper brace to fit.  The spacing shouldn't be too far off.

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:01:31 AM »
And the muffler…….   I have a very elaborate plan layed out in my mind for that too.  I want 4into1 header immediately at the front corner of the frame.  From there it will go into a muffler of my own building that will be completely contained under the frame and exit at the back corner - right or left I have not decided yet, but probably the right so it stays away from the kickstand.  Something like a Buell system that I had seen.  This means I will not be able to keep the center stand which is a shame as I really like it, but I don't want the exhaust anywhere on the side or back of the bike.  One of these days I'll actually draw this out and post it.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »
Looks like you're going to have fun with it Chris, I do like the red/silver example example you show as i think these bikes fit better with the original jap racing heratige than going toward a classic british black/chrome/alloy cafe racer type direction.

CB750 F1 has rear disc on spoked wheel that may be a good start point for you.

The dry sump oil tank gets pretty hot when running so maybe a consideration when in contact/close proximity to the fuel tank. Don't believe it's a risk, just that if you heat the fuel tank then it's certainly going to "breathe" a bit.

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:50:52 AM »
Thanks for the oil tip.  In my mind, the actual build of the tank is somewhat complex and does take the heat of the oil into consideration.  If I really do get to building it the way I want I will definitely be showing pictures of the build.

Looking forward to having fun with this thing!   No to find an F1 rear hub….

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal