Author Topic: RR24 redux  (Read 2970 times)

Offline ashewan

• View Profile
RR24 redux
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »
Hi,
Got no answer about using a RR24 for reg/rec so nobody has used one or I've been sent to Coventry? Anyway the mail was about my dodgy charging circuit so I got a bit more scientific - I think.
Put a 75mV 75A shunt connecting battery +ve terminal to loom +ve cable. Read -3.4A (-3.4mV on digi meter) [12.11V] with just ignition on. At 1k rpm, -5A [12.03V] and only started going positive at 3.5k and showing 2.2A [12.37V] at 6k.
So sounds like a lotta leakage or something somewhere and it reads nothing like the shop manual charging characteristics (page 106 in my downloaded pdf). But perhaps that is an ideal circuit.
I have also checked the various values; field/stator coil resistance/connectivity etc as per manual and they seem to be within spec, apart from what looks like one funny continuity direction reading on the rectifier bridge;-)
Could go with a new reg/rec but perhaps I need to do more - any suggestions; like new loom? Add relays; Or whatever.
Thanks
Andrew

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: RR24 redux
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:55 PM »
Only going positive at over 3K is normal, not a clue about the other readings, all i ever use is voltage

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:32:11 PM »
I have no clue what you are on about. Try Lobo, he knows about electrics. Coventry? wheres that.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
Like Bryan says talk volts not Millie volts and amps don't over complicate it.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:30:23 PM »
Sorry, forgot about Bitsa, he can change a fuse ;) ;) ;)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
Eventually Trig
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Never saw your first post, sorry .... and don't see why the RR24 wouldn't work... indeed my 72' 750 had one when I bought it... worked fine. (yea, the wiring state was dreadful!) Anyways, the below forum seem to think an RR24 will do the job....

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=47779.0

Regarding your shunt shenanigans.. you've been busy @ the maths (!) & without doing a bit of homework, I can't comment. It seems odd that the charge is only going positive at 6K... leading me to think that either the regulator is mis-set ... or your shunt sums are wrong?
If everything checks out otherwise, and a bridge is u/s in the rectifier, that would surely be cause for concern..

You don't mention whether the regulator has been correctly checked & set?

A current leak (bad loom) could be fairly easily be checked by disabling / isolating all the "user" circuits... ie remove all fuses not part of your charging and then check again...

Early days to declare a new loom I'd have thought, and a little unsure how the inclusion of any relays might help...  I'm learning slowly but in reality there wasn't a lot wrong with how the system was designed; its simple, cheap & effective .... & 'frigging' it will only make life unnecessarily complicated down the track. (tho' the RR24 is a nice & easy / reliable solid state fix)

I've inc my CB400 paras on it all if of any additional help... apologies for the crappy quality but I post off an iPad.

Sorry can't be of more help... gremlins never easy over the Internet... & 'thanks' (!) Trigger for the vote of misplaced confidence...

Simon
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:46:13 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
That RR24 on my '750... dreadful wiring... before & after pics...

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
The last 400/4 I restored I had similar probs turned out dirty connections and the regulator had been tampered with by a monkey.New reg prob solved.Cant remember for sure but with lights on pretty sure got over 13 volts at the batt.
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline ashewan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »
Hi,
Well I never thought I'd get 'flamed' (or is that 'trolled') just 'cause I happen to mention 'amps' (shock, horror). As yous all know (or bloody well should at your age) there's a man called Mr Ohm. Mr Ohm he say 'No voltage, no current. No current, no voltage' or words to that effect!
So let's just say for the sake of argument you wanted to know the current (IN AMPS) drawn when you use the electric starter..........
And no 'I use the kick start' doesn't count;-).
Andrew

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
Make sure that there is infinite resistance between any of the three stator coil wires (yellow) and the laminated magnet frame they are wound on ( obviously with the wires disconnected from the loom). Because the stator is 'Dry' on the 350/400/4 you can get corrosion and resistance leakage to ground. I had two alternators go bad that way and the bikes were less than ten years old at the time. Any original fitment alternator stator is getting on a bit now.

Problem with forums ( this one is better than most) is that you can get a flurry of posts and yours get's buried. We are a friendly bunch on here and we don't send people to Coventry  8)

Cheers ... AshD

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »
These posts are very interesting, this weekend i have been working on  my 750 sohc chopper which has a home made loom, most of the wiring is one colour and and absolute fucking mess, the bike is not charging and it has a no name regulator rectifier on it, my understanding of these bikes is that you have to power the field coil which makes a magnetic field in order for the generator to work, i am going to have to go on the honda chopper site to see how they do a minimalist loom that works with an aftermarket reg/rectifier
Sorry to jump in with nothing constuctive but i will watch this posting with interest
Oh yes,  Andrew its not often people get flamed on here, dont take it it to heart ignore the pain and it will go away LOL
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal