Author Topic: engine whine and smells hot?  (Read 1817 times)

59viperman

engine whine and smells hot?
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:04:15 PM »
when I went for the MOT the other week I noticed an annoying whine from the lump, also it seems very hot too. first time I have ridden it by the way, any ideas? was hoping to go to the manx in a few weeks too :-\

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: engine whine and smells hot?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:25:59 PM »
That dont sound good possibly some metal to metal contact, have a look at the oil and see what condition thats in
pete

59viperman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
totally clear, as if it was put in this morning. timing?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
Running hot could be timing or mixture out but whinning as well??, have you just bought the bike?
pete

59viperman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »
bought a year ago and only in the last couple of months I have started playing with it. it has new oil filter air filter plugs , all the usual stuff. took it for the mot all excited but was really disappointed at the performance, it was reluctant to go over 50. I am wondering has it been rebuilt and needs run in. it looks as though the engine is painted and all the bits on it are new. I just don't know , I don't want to get half way to the ferry and it shit itself. cant fathom it. really need some ideas  :-\

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:57:24 PM »
Only thing I can suggest is you go through all the systems ignition carbs etc and give them a good service and check all the settings etc just to satisfy yourself that there done and your not guessing then see how it runs ? cheers Mick.

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
Does the engine whine idling in neutral? If not, is the drive chain slack set correctly? The smell could just be the engine paint. The hot running and lack of power could well be incorrect fuel mixture due to a blocked jet or air leak. Are the carbs balanced too?

Actually, when I first got my bike on the road it didn't want to go over 50mph and this was down to worn carb needles.

Good luck. Keep us updated.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal