Author Topic: Greetings from a new 550 owner  (Read 3518 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Greetings from a new 550 owner
« on: July 31, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »
Hi ladies and gents, I've been lurking on this forum and soaking up advice for awhile, but since I just bought a 550 last night I thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm totally new to the bike scene - never owned a bike before and didn't like any of the new stuff coming out. I'm also a project kind of guy, so I bought my bike with the intent to fix and customise into a brat/cafe style.  As my wife said, I can't ever do anything the easy way.

First things first - I'm going to pick up the bike in a fews weeks time (out of the country currently), so any suggestions on what to tackle first on a bike that has spark, turns over, but doesn't start? Clean and flush fuel system? Carbs?

Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure to get over the next while!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from a new 550 owner
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
What exact modle/year is it mate

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
Welcome to the SOHC world and good luck. Carbs will certainly need sorting, plus basic checks and service, new plugs and a well charged battery should help to get it going.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 06:59:56 PM »
Hi Mr T  welcome to the forums, you are among friends here, we all love a good project
pete

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
It's a 1977 CB550 F1.  Can anyone recommend someone who could do the carbs/engine near slough, Berks?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
Worth putting fresh petrol in the tank with a strong dose of redex carb cleaner and let the carbs fill. Switch the tap off as carb often overflow and leave to soak. Spray in carb cleaner through the airbox and spin the engine over with a 12vcar battery if you have one. I have saved myself a few carb rebuilds over the years by starting like this.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »
Hi Mr. T

Please put your location in your profile. Until you mentioned Slough I didn't realise that I was in a position to help...

You could try Sean Brennan of SB Engineering in Woodcote (N of Reading)

He is a collector of 70's bikes (he has 40-odd) and put my/Eamon's Wokingham-based collection back on the road. He also runs an MOT place.

At the moment he has my 1972 500/4 "Goldie" for a refresh + MOT

Steve

http://www.sb-engineering.com/motorcycle-restoration/

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Welcome.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 03:06:08 AM »
Thanks for the tips Matthewmosse and Steve D!  Will give these things a try once I have the bike.  At the moment have hit a bit of a snag, as the eBay seller is asking for immediate payment via bank transfer instead of PayPal or cash on collection.  A bit leery of that so trying to sort a solution.  I hope this doesn't fall through!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:45:36 AM »
Thanks for the tips Matthewmosse and Steve D!  Will give these things a try once I have the bike.  At the moment have hit a bit of a snag, as the eBay seller is asking for immediate payment via bank transfer instead of PayPal or cash on collection.  A bit leery of that so trying to sort a solution.  I hope this doesn't fall through!

Big Hi from me too. You have just found a new bunch of good friends on here.

Can't believe someone can turn down cash on collection ! But it's a weird, weird world on eBay sometimes. I have met some really good contacts on there, that have even  become good friends. Others you would like to send the 'HondaChoppers.com' boys around to.

This is their response I got from them when some guy in the States tried to scam me on a rare wheel.
Quote: "Sorry to hear about your troubles Ashimoto. Can't eBay stop this? I just searched that new name java mentioned and see he is already selling more stuff...
It's really a shame that good people are gonna keep gettin ripped off by this guy.
If I was closer I would make the trip to visit him with any one of you fellow hcmfers"

When you get the Bike it may be worth cleaning out the carbs using an ultrasonic cleaner or solvent MEK Methylene chloride. Hazardous though and not planet friendly  ;)

Try this link below and read it through. It's an excellent guide.

http://cb750carbs.com/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRES-Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone-MEK-Butanone-99-/221259436082?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item3384171032

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LITRES-Recycled-Dichloromethane-Methylene-Chloride-MDC-/111412760948?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item19f0b7d174

Cheers .... AshD
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:35:51 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »
I can understand avoiding PayPal (3.4% fees), but I always go for cash on collection. Then straight down to the bank to pay it in.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
Straight to the bank Steve? or via the pub!

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
Personally I would walk from such a deal, cash on collection is best, a paypal deposit to avoid what I had when selling a car ie the winning bidder procrastinating up until the day I lost the right to report him as non paying and get my seller fees back then vanishing. But as far as I know a bank transfer will leave you hard pressed to recoup your money if the bike either doesn't exist or is not as described. There are plenty of project cb500 and 550 bikes out there. Buy one off someone who's willing to be sensible and take cash on collection.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
welcome to the forum,its fun,and VERY helpful,

as Mathew says,your deal sounds iffy !!!

I would take extreme care,

but,I hope we are wrong,and it goes on ok
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 08:33:40 PM »
Well, in the end it was sorted via PayPal,  so I've got buyer protection if it doesn't exist.  Now to go collect it and start on the work!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal