Author Topic: CB750 bearing shells  (Read 6971 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
CB750 bearing shells
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
Anyone know the going rate for NOS in bag Genuine Honda crankshaft bearing shells ( mains and big end)? I am pretty sure also that CBX1000 parts are the same. Can anyone confirm this and reasonable price to pay because I have been offered some for my 750 (not..eBay thank God)

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 bearing shells
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:58:53 PM »
Ash , a tenner a shell.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »
Shit a big ouch now.Glad I kept my old ones only changed em because it was apart
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 06:57:58 AM »
Ash , a tenner a shell.

I mean't what do I offer for NOS not new, the guy has 36 but a small amount  are not in the bags so only any good really for 'blueprinting'

To be honest I am going to Plastigage the big ends of the crank Bryan kindly sold me yonks ago and if the shells  look nice,  they are going back in.  The shells for sale do include a set of mains, which would be OK for my crank and crankcase letter combination but obviously after I mic the crank that may not be the case. I am going to mic the spare crank I have too, that way when I sell it on,  the buyer will know what they are  in for. Why can't more people on eBay do that too? In all my years of eBay trading I have never seen it done.

What do I offer each for the NOS shells, I don't want to lose out on them?

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:01:49 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 07:45:37 AM »
Ash, you are confusing me on what you think NOS means. NOS, stands for New Old Stock. So, Nos is new or are you on about secondhand shells? Secondhand sells are worth nothing or whatever someone is willing to pay.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »
Ash, you are confusing me on what you think NOS means. NOS, stands for New Old Stock. So, Nos is new or are you on about secondhand shells? Secondhand sells are worth nothing or whatever someone is willing to pay.

NOS to me is New Old Stock  as opposed to new bought from Honda for resale. i.e my 750K0 exhaust was new because DSS bought it from Honda and then shortly afterwards sold it to me. The gear lever they sold me was 'NOS' because it came from an ex-dealers inventory of stock bought in the 80's.

The shells I am looking at are not used they are NOS mostly in the Honda bags, I wouldn't dream of using secondhand shells (other than the unworn ones fitted to the original crank). There are a couple not in the bags but I have seen them and they look new.

Cheers ...AshD
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:07:37 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
OK Ash, we are a little clearer now. I would offer 3 to 5 each but, it is down to what he is willing to sell them for.
Where did you find those small screws and nuts? They fitted a treat to the button on the switch gear. Cheers for those Ash.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
Quote from: trigger6969 on Today at 08:36:30 am

OK Ash, we are a little clearer now. I would offer 3 to 5 each but, it is down to what he is willing to sell them for.
Where did you find those small screws and nuts? They fitted a treat to the button on the switch gear. Cheers for those Ash.

I think he is looking at 5.50 GBP  each  for the bagged ones and 3 GBP for the non bagged ones but I need to be quick as someone else is sniffing round them.

Screws ... I make a focusing mechanism for an add on to a scanning electron microscope for a company near Cambridge. It has M1.4, M1.6 and M2 screw on it. If you need any more M2 screws / nuts  just shout  you can have them for free!!

If you want to buy a large quantity here is the RS Components P/N 528-693 (screws)  248-4551 Full Nuts  they are both A2 grade SS The nuts fit the 400/4 and others switch push button . The screws the same but also fit the 250/400/4 trip meter knob (not the 250K0 though 'cos it doesn't have a trip meter!)

The smaller than M2 screws we get from these people
http://www.microfastenings.com/Home.aspx

Cheers ...Ash
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:53:36 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
Ash, grab them before someone else does.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
Ash, grab them before someone else does.

I will do and after I have measured my crank/looked at my big ends  ::) I will offer any spares I have on here for what I pay for them plus post. This will be my one and only 750 restoration so I won't need any spares.

Cheers ... Ash

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »
Ash I an af :-[ter the tiny screw and nut which hold my f2 horn button on they are the smallest I have ever seen ,do you thiink what you have will do the job
Pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
Same one I think Pete I will post you a couple.

Posted !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers ... Ash
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:38:21 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »
Top man ash, thanks
Pete

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
Ash forget about measuring mate, sorry to say no matter how good the Mic and operater you can't get the accuracy of Honda with air gauges. best way is simply plastigauge BUT make sure you know what part number/colour the shell is if you dont use it

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 08:35:31 PM »
Always and i mean always use Plastigauge. OK, confession time ;D If i can not get green shells,( no longer available) i will grind the crank to fit black. This is common practice in engine building. So never go by A2,B2 and so on

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal