Author Topic: Rust removal... old tanks / tools etc  (Read 870 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Rust removal... old tanks / tools etc
« on: August 15, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
Had a go at a bit of 'Alchemy' this past couple of days due my tank being away at the 'painters... and a substitute gash tank bought off ebay to tide me over. (£31). Anyways, gash tank fairly rusty within, and so had a go at electrolysis... see the below link, Method 4/5

In my case I used an old tin as the anode, flattened & then concertina'd to fit in through the neck. It was attached to a wire coat hanger, suitably bent to hold it clear of the cathode (ie the tank itself) (I guess you're going for max surface area here, ie an old nail etc not good enough)

Notably the (modern) battery charger wouldn't work... it detected 'no battery' I guess. So I attached a battery.... and simultaneously then put this on a trickle charge... fooled it. Hah!

Within the hour bubbling & fizzing within, and soon after brown / horrible grunge coming out the filler neck. After 15 hrs took the anode out for a look-see; it was covered in rust.  Scrubbed it off, and put it back. Another 9 hrs & anode now noted as disintegrating. (see pic)

Tank flushed... FILTHY. 3 more flushes & all clear, internal looking great.

Sorry on lack of photos, patience isn't a strong point of mine...
Will definitely make this process a part of my arsenal... to include old tools etc. Problem with vinegar treatments etc is that damage can be done to adjacent platings etc - I believe this process to be kinder. ALL tech questions to Ash... I failed 'O' level chemistry and haven't a bloody clue, other than pure magic....

Enjoy...

http://m.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-and-Corrosion
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:26:43 PM by Lobo »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Rust removal... old tanks / tools etc
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »
Well done and that rust WOW
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal