Author Topic: Clock Sealing Bands  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Clock Sealing Bands
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
Does anyone know where you can get the stainless steel bands that hold the clocks together on the 400? I've seen on fleabay a few times, chrome clock covers with a bolt together sealing bands. These would be ideal.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Clock Sealing Bands
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
You won't find new bands, provided they have been removed correctly they can be re-used. Damaged ones can be improved if the are not too dire.

Offline Lynx

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:53:41 AM »
I used a strip of plastic to protect them when I was putting them back together but you can still see they have been apart  :-X.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:06:56 PM »
I'm assuming there are marks on the top of the bands where you folded them back over the base using pliers. It sounds like you will have to take the bands off again. You can remove the marks it not too deep by polishing them out with wet of dry paper followed by a metal polish.  The best way to do this is to place the the band on the body the wrong way round (once dismantled) thus keeping it flat and then on a flat surface work it up, and down on a fine grade paper. Polishing bands on a bench mop can only be achieved by again placing if the wrong way round on the body. Polishing the band without the support of the body is somewhat hazardous, don't ask how I know this!

You should be able to replace the bands with a plastic ring to protect it but it does require a great deal of care and it's time consuming. A better method is to bore a hole the same size as the body in a piece of wood , so the body drops into it up to the band. If you have a bench drill press place the gauge in the block with a plastic punch in the drill chuck and press the band back as you revolve the gauge.

One possible alternative to the wood block is a piece of plastic drain pipe that the gauge will drop into, not sure if you can find a piece the correct size but if it's a bit too big a saw cut and a couplle of hose clips closed up  might bring it to the correct size   

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
I'd love to find some of these bolt-on bands you mentioned, Lynx. I doubt any amount of polishing, drain pipes, etc. will enable me to repair the ones I cocked up on my bike! :'(
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline Lynx

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
Hi Drew. Yes. I've only seen them on eBAY as a set with chrome clock covers.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Bodd

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:07 PM »
If you take your time and are careful you shouldn't need new ones, this is how I did mine, part way down the page, I have had the tacho apart again since then too.

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:24:04 AM »
Hi Bodd,

What a terrific site you have created, with lots of tips and illustrations for other tasks on my to do list... thank you!

Cheers, D

(ex-pat Lancastrian)
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Bodd

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
Thanks D, I'm no expert though, I've been winging it from the start as I did with the Yamaha RD250E, at least as I am doing a cafe racer this time I don't have to stick to a set of strict restoration rules like I did with the Yam.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »
Nice job refitting those bands Bodd, I favour putting a hose clamp around the band before removal to prevent the band spreading outwards especially on those fitted to CB750 gauges where there's such a small amount of the band to fold back over the base.

The other method to deal with the band is to cut it, carefully spread it and lift is off. To refit apply some epoxy two part adhesive on the base flange and secure the band with a large hose clamp until the epoxy has cured. If the point where the band was cut is placed at the bottom it's hard to spot. A Dremel rotary tool fitted with a cutting disc is probably the best method, those cutting discs  are only about 1 mm thick.

I have some cut bands that are perfect and will look a whole lot better when fitted than pliers marks when fitted. Just PM drew if that helps. I would add I didn't cut those bands!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
If you cut it, you will always see the join. I just use a piston ring clamp and a small pin hammer to panel beat it back into place.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »
I got a micro spot welder for a job I am doing and am going  to try on cut bands but not had time yet. I was going to Dremel the outside of the two clock body 'halves' slightly to make up for the cut gap.

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal