Author Topic: How many rattle cans?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: How many rattle cans?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »
What you must take on board is that this is a 37 year old engine with no know history. I find it hard to comment on a engine unless i have been up close and personal with it. You may be lucky and press the button and it starts. For how long is hard to say.
I stripped a CB500 engine a couple of months ago to find the needle roller bearing on the end of the gear box had destroyed itself. The PO told me that it was a running motor but, yes it may have been a running engine with no gears. On the other hand i have stripped CB550 down and found it only needed new chains.
You can tell a lot about a engine from what is in the sump. I can see how much play is in the primary chain from looking in the engine with the sump pan removed but, no manual in the world has this type of information in it. It is a gamble.
I have no clue what your budget is for your project. But the lads on here always say, what ever there original budget was it went out the window a long time ago. I always over budget so not to get caught out.
Sorry for being honest.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »
What you must take on board is that this is a 37 year old engine with no know history. I find it hard to comment on a engine unless i have been up close and personal with it. You may be lucky and press the button and it starts. For how long is hard to say.
I stripped a CB500 engine a couple of months ago to find the needle roller bearing on the end of the gear box had destroyed itself. The PO told me that it was a running motor but, yes it may have been a running engine with no gears. On the other hand i have stripped CB550 down and found it only needed new chains.
You can tell a lot about a engine from what is in the sump. I can see how much play is in the primary chain from looking in the engine with the sump pan removed but, no manual in the world has this type of information in it. It is a gamble.
I have no clue what your budget is for your project. But the lads on here always say, what ever there original budget was it went out the window a long time ago. I always over budget so not to get caught out.
Sorry for being honest.
It's all good Trigger, I appreciate the realism.  I was hoping to get it done for £2000, but if not, then it'll just take longer.  I'd rather know it was done right than do a half job and have that doubt in my mind on a long ride.  It's not the time or money (within reason), I just don't want to tear it to pieces and realise I'm in over my head. 

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »
No problems. Have shared it before. Good stuff the Simoniz in all its paint range. MR Holts if your watching please send me a FREE Trade pack ;)
Do you use a primer first?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
No primer needed but, the engine must be clean of any old paint, oil ,dirt and corrosion. The cleaner the better the finish. It's all down to the prep work.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
Aint it all the same Trig? same with women wine dine etc or you get crap all
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal