Author Topic: Forks  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Forks
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
Got these today from a guy in Germany bloody good condition not bent fit yokes perfect but whats this all about will strip them in the morning but never seen this before
Measure up spot on against my other bike
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Forks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:32:20 PM »
Maybe had air valves fitted then removed and plugged?, or a home made attempt at adjustable pre-load?.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:09:36 PM »
Thanks for that could be but WHY?
cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 01:53:18 PM »
Maybe a method for refilling forks after draining oil without having to release the spring pressure and getting a fork cap in the eye? and possibly going that funny shade of purple as you try to re engage the thread to replace said cap after the trip to A & E?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »

Maybe a method for refilling forks after draining oil without having to release the spring pressure and getting a fork cap in the eye? and possibly going that funny shade of purple as you try to re engage the thread to replace said cap after the trip to A & E?
That's exactly what I was thinking...

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
Waggles that made me giggle,Well good job I did strip them out god knows what they were doing but taking the top nut off bits shot across the garage and they turned out to be (pretty sure) valve springs and the plates were the collets go in.One fork leg polished and ready but the other where the Allen screw screws into is stripped so has anybody got one?If no will try a helicoil.Also the old fork seal looked like it came in 3 parts never seen this afore
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
Do you mean the thread in the damper rod mate? If so and you need to replace try and get a pair from the same bike as the internals did vary a little bit over the years even if the part number stayed the same, helicoil in there should be OK as they aint under a lot of force but not sure if the pitch of the thread is standard.

Another common leak is the copper washer under the cap screw head if its been out lots of times.

I agree those are valve springs and top collers must have been really stiff forks!!

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »
Thanks Bryan
No I did not think they were that stiff.Looking at the fork charts on the dutch site I reckon they are k7s.Yes to the damper rod and no longer available so unless someone on here has one helicoil it will be.Also on all the charts these are not an exact match similar but not exact.I will post another photo but this set up I have never seen before especially the bit that looks like a bearing!!!Does anyone know,if they are indeed k7s will they be ok on a k2?Or shall I flog them and start again?Oh yeah standard 8 mm nut screws straight on to the allen bolt.
Cheers
Bitsa
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:10:05 PM by Bitsa »

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
Hi Guys
Well a bit of a dilemma got the Honda top fork bolts and they are too small.On doing a proper measurement turns out these forks are a couple of mille shorter and the Ali caps in them are 30mm whereas the Honda ones are 25mm. Does any body know what the hell they are off of?Fit the trees perfect checked numbers of the k2 k7 and they are the same.Brake caliper goes on fine AND THEY LOOK HONDA.Stumped at the mo.
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal