Author Topic: Where is the Battery??  (Read 1156 times)

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
Where is the Battery??
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:23:34 AM »
This might not be 750 specific, but that's what I'm working on so I'm asking this here.

In the linked photo, where is the battery?  Looks like a stock tank so I doubt it's inside, and I don't see any other place for it.  The tail looks way too small to hold it in there.

Does the bike even need a battery?  I know most systems run off the battery and the charging system just keeps it topped off.  Does this system work differently?

Thanks

http://bihamoto.sk/content/images/articles/73.jpg

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Battery??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:28:57 AM »
It may be that they have fitted a largish electrolytic capacitor, I did this when I was a student to my CB250K2. The 750 is 3-phase so less flickering of the lights at tick over probably. Incidently, I sussed a way of testing the regulator on the old CB twins 'pointless regulator'  a few weeks ago (CB250/350/450 etc). It's potted in epoxy but it's a Thyristor (SCR)  circuit which acts as a crowbar to voltages generated above the normal lead-acid charging voltage. The Brit bikes use a large Zener diode on a heatsink between the forks (Triumph) but it's not as elegant as the Honda (well Hitachi) solution as the Honda one has a very precise cut off at the set voltage (around 15v), which is not the case with a Zener diode.

Cheers ...AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Wouldn't want to go any distance on that thing, the family jewels are at severe risk. You may also need a number plate for the UK. A non running show bike I think.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:54:12 AM »
Yep, could be a non-running show bike. I have built some show engines with no internal parts.   

Offline ChrisOnABike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »
Wow, I would have never thought of a show bike that did not run.  Such a waste of good parts.  It also looks like there is a small switch just under the end of the tail section.

I think I would cut in a section of the petrol tank to house the battery.

The simple look of this particular machine is one I am using to base my own build from, but mine will probably need a battery.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »
Could be using lithium batteries, you can get very slim versions that would fit under the seat hump of that bike, they work well but have no resistance to shorting so you have to be sure your electrics are in good order.
Here's a link to the Ultrabatt site.
http://www.ultrabatt.com/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:01:33 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal