Author Topic: screws and bolts  (Read 2478 times)

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
  • wheres the breaks on these cb 750's !
    • View Profile
screws and bolts
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I know you can buy bolts and screws which are original from people such as DSS etc but they charge a premium for not a lot and of course the delivery fiver on top.
Where can you get these locally in uk for a more reasonable price which arnt particularly for Honda? After all an hexagonal bolt is just that nothing special about it. The problem is they dont quote thread sizes on the sites. For example I want the screws for the seat lock 93600060160G  but it just says 6x16 flat screw which doesnt help much without the thread size.
Obviously I will have to buy the chrome head ones from DSS etc but the stainless must be a bog standard ?
Antony

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: screws and bolts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:33:38 AM »
Hi Anthony,

You could try 'Inox Fasteners' (Southampton) for your various screws etc... they cater old Hondas etc. If using them, be very sure as to what head they'll be supplying... this one caught me out as wanting original & got Allen drive...

Simon.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:39:22 AM »
get yourself a thread gauge, probable a couple of quid, they are like a small feeler gauge ,the edges of each blade are like the edge of a saw , that edge when put against the original screw will either fit it or not when you find the one that does it says the size on it so then you can measure the original screw length as well and confidently order the right screw
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
get yourself a thread gauge, probable a couple of quid, they are like a small feeler gauge ,the edges of each blade are like the edge of a saw , that edge when put against the original screw will either fit it or not when you find the one that does it says the size on it so then you can measure the original screw length as well and confidently order the right screw
pete

Most of the bolts are metric coarse (ie m6 and m8) The m10 ones tend to be metric fine 1.25 pitch. If  you get m6 A2 SS hex bolts, grind off the top markings they will then polish up, they  look like chrome and never rust or pit again, for the chrome replacements. Plus you can get SS thin wall tube off eBay that you can slot over an M6 polished chrome ones  and 'step out' to 8mm for those tail lamp type bolts. Bit risky to do that on the bar lever ones though, go for genuine.

M8's are a bit of a problem as they have 12mm AF hex heads on Honda's but standard metric bolts are 13mm AF. Never found an aftermarket source of M8 bolts / nuts  with 12 mm heads!

Oh and there are M7 threads on some chain adjuster bolts too!

Don't really like allen screws on my bikes at it's a dead giveaway (OK on specials/riders). Having said that from a practical point of view they are probably a better solution.. Just me being picky again.

Cheers .. AshD
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:58:36 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
When I rebuilt my F1 I went through the parts book and identified all the bolts by area, the ones that were missing or too ratty to rescue were replaced with ones from Custom Fasteners http://custom-fasteners.co.uk/ not cheap but their website is very user friendly and their service is great, where they would not be seen or had a plain finish they were replaced with stainless.  They also used to supply non standard metric Japanese bike style nuts and bolts and old Japanese bike style panhead bolts with info on thread and head sizes. The rest of the standard bolts were cleaned up and I sent them off to R&S Electroplating for refinishing.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »
Fantastic info, thanks to all
Antony

bike-pusher

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
antonypo - I'm pretty sure I've got those countersunk screws for the seat lock catch.  I'm also pretty sure the same screws are used to hold 400 Four carbs to the mounting bar.

I was dismantling a carb bank a while back, and I thought, as I undid the carbs: "Oh, those screws look familiar...."

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »
good ! now what do we do ! haha
Antony

bike-pusher

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:13 AM »
IfI can find them, I'll just bung them off to you.  Might take a day or two's rootling in the lock-up, mind.

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
Thank you for your offer will email address.
Antony

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
Most vehichle bolts that carry any load usually have their threads "rolled" into them, making them effectively a forging in terms of material strength as opposed to a die-cut thread which has metal literally cut out of it. Die cut are generally weaker for any given size and should not be used to replace originals that weren't the same, the risk being that they will shear off under the same level of torque loading.

If possible good condition originals replated are best or at a least match for spec to replace them.

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »
oh I  see why the originals are more expensive then. Good advice - thank's
Antony

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile