Author Topic: Re-chroming fork tubes.  (Read 1767 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re-chroming fork tubes.
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
Can anyone recommend where to get this done?  I've found loads of places online, but if anyone has had good service, particularly around Slough, I'd love to hear about it.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Re-chroming fork tubes.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
Definitely Phillpots hard Chroming. Been on the go for Yonks. Had a KZ650B1 which they had ground back and hard chromed spot on. Million times better than standard. Left out in all weathers and never pitted.

http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/contact.php

Cheers ..AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »
+1 on what ash says
pete

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
+26 years of using Philpots. He does do a post service of £20 both ways. And he will do the folk caps in with the price.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »
Wow, rare to see so much consensus!  Speaks volumes, will go with Phillpots!

Offline Ian DB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »
I found a cheaper option was to purchse a complete set of good forks off fleabay, got a set from America for £60.00 inc delivery pretty good condition too.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
I found a cheaper option was to purchse a complete set of good forks off fleabay, got a set from America for £60.00 inc delivery pretty good condition too.

You did well then cos I usually get charged post and import duty as much as that for something so heavy.
May be worth trying DK they have tons of parts. The hard chromed ones really are good though will last forever, they really are that good. They may even re-chrome your caliper pistons too but unsure of the cost.

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

bike-pusher

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »
Duty from the US is a real pain, because the threshold value is very low (much lower than if you bring the bits yourself in your luggage), and then there's VAT and handling fee on top.  The cost price can easily double.

I just got lucky - a bod in the US, big parts dealer, selling an NOS 400F toolkit.  With shipping, it cost me just over £50.  Got a bid of £100 on it already, and a dozen watchers.

Offline andy_c101

• SOHC Member
  • Gone but not forgotten.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:21 PM »
Another vote for philpotts from me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal