Author Topic: Tank painting.... DIY  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Tank painting.... DIY
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »
Thought I'd have ago.... after all, everything DIY is just nous & patience... right?

Bought a cheapo CB400 tank off ebay @ £31. Looked good... stripped the paint... looked bad. Loadsa filler, been in a spill... or two. Innards though looked fairly ok, and with a bit of electrolysis have banished what light rust there was.

Have never played with filler seriously; and never realised there's various grades as the major dent stuff still leaves significant pin holes / imperfections. So I had to buy finer filler to fill the first filler....

Tried 3 different paints... two rattle can types & one (Honda) automotive. The best colour I could find (er, Brunei) was a Rust-oleum .... which seems pretty damned close to Parakeet as I know it. I then used the same brand primer.

About 5 coats of each & more sanding with P1200 wet & dry than you can shake a stick at. The paint has good resistance to soaking in petrol (test piece) but I still wanted more protection, and so after the decals went on I further applied a couple of coats of an automotive clear lacquer (2 pack).

The results? Think I'm pleased... the tank looks stunning ... from 3 paces back. Up close & it fails the orange peel test. Rather significantly.

Summarising... I've a new found respect for guys who can turn a tank into something most of us take for granted every day .. and given the time & patience invested can fully appreciate the costs they (have to) charge. This said, I could spent all the time in the world on my tank, and never achieve what a professional does... unquestionably there's a lot of skill involved. Due the side panel being a virgin moulding it has come up even better. (but not perfect)

So, enjoyable, massively time consuming, and a reminder lesson that there are some things I'll never be able to do.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
Re: Tank painting.... DIY
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:43:33 PM »
Looks good Simon, been thinking of doing my CD175, I'm OK with primer but made a 'Balls' of the last restoration/paint job...gave it to a local sprayer in the end.

How many coats of clear lacquer do you use?

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
Not bad Simon. I am the worst painter in the world and if that is your first go i am well impressed. Did you get the tank back from Bedford?

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
Looks good Simon.
I use an airless sprayer at work I was very tempted to spray my old van but chickened out as it takes about 2 liters to fill the hoses.
Orange peel is normally caused by incorrect pressure or the gun at the wrong angle
Practice makes perfect.
Orange peel can always be sanded out with an incredibly fine wet&dry before clear coating.

One day I will risk it and spray one of my bikes.

Mick 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »
Better than I could do well done
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Great stuff .. I love people who have a go. Andrew Parnaby who spayed my 750K0 paintwork and does John Wyatt's told me he started out using a cheopo gun and a lorry wheel as the air source.

Cheers .. AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 12:59:13 AM »
Thanks gents...

Yea Mick - if I did it again I'd definitely better wet & dry out the orange peel.... thing is I read (here?) of someone complaining that his tank was taken back to too smooth a surface < clear coat..... which never then bonded properly. (my guess now is that it was perhaps polished < the clear coat)

My test piece 'suggested' a thick enough lacquer coat would hide the orange peel & so this is the way I went. It doesn't...  (3 coats). Another issue was my test piece being the side of an old fridge.... Ie very forgiving, and if the tank had been this smoothness & uniformity to start with the whole experience / result would likely have been approaching spot-on.

But good enough fun, I've made a £30 tank now cost me £100+ (multiple paints, decals, polisher), but it never was about that... rather the learning.

And Trig, the bloody day I bought this tank was the day I got a call the original tank is ready. Not been back to the UK since to collect... but looking forward to seeing a professional finish!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal