SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Can I try to start it yet?

(1/4) > >>

JustcallmeMrT:
1977 cb550, been sitting for 13 years.  Got the tank lined, carbs cleaned, and have the parts for an oil change, filter change (air and oil) and new plugs.
After all the recent advice, I've decided I do need to do a teardown of the engine before running the bike regularly.  Before beginning this, should I try giving it an initial start, or skip go and just pull it apart?

K2-K6:
Have you turned the engine over at all and or is it difficult to turn?

Also have you put any oil down the plug holes into the cylinders?

JustcallmeMrT:

--- Quote from: K2-K6 on September 24, 2014, 11:36:57 PM ---Have you turned the engine over at all and or is it difficult to turn?

Also have you put any oil down the plug holes into the cylinders?

--- End quote ---
Engine turns over fine, seems nice and smooth with good compression

Lobo:
I'm no experienced engine (re) builder, but am left wondering, "what's the point" in trying to start an engine that's been sitting 13yrs .... if you then intend to immediately tear it down?  (though I can sure understand the temptation!)

Likelihood it'll be fine... but if some major part (eg a chain) doesn't like being rudely awoken from its Rip-Van Winkle slumber - and "lets go" - you may have far more on your hands than you bargained for...

Furthermore, there may be rust / swarf / debris / dirt in there which is best left in situ versus circulated about the innards...

Just my thoughts Mr T, but will happily listen to those of seasoned experience.

Simon

bike-pusher:
I work on the basis that if it starts and runs fine, leave it alone.  Or: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version