Author Topic: Can I try to start it yet?  (Read 3103 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Can I try to start it yet?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
Well, I decided that I'd try to do a test start, and after finally getting the carbs sorted, new plugs, the tank lined, and all the split air box rubbers replaced, I have no juice to the plugs. 
Lame.
To say the wiring harness has been messed with is an understatement, so I think I'm going to give up on the test start and begin to really tear it all apart and rebuild. Hopefully once I get to the stage of having built a new wiring harness, it'll work. 

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »
You can test sart the engine on the bench using any 12v battery, a couple of scrap bits of wire and that will be enough to know a fair bit. In the bike it is even easyer to jurry rig power to the coils from the battery supply.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 05:45:48 PM »
You can test sart the engine on the bench using any 12v battery, a couple of scrap bits of wire and that will be enough to know a fair bit. In the bike it is even easyer to jurry rig power to the coils from the battery supply.
Well, I'll happily give it a try!  Can you run through a little how - to?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
Been a while, sure someone will correct any errors. Power from positive of battery (small cable, almost any old bit of vehicle wiring) to black wire (white tracer?) On coils. Blue to blue, yellow to yellow points to coil. Earth via a decent heavy cable to engine bock - a jump lead would do. You can get away with just touching the starter cable end to the battery positive terminal but it will spark.
If you are not getting starter motor and bike is mostly right, I have been known to jam a 10mm spanner across the starter solinoid terminals which can aid bypassing the starter switch if that gives issues. This does spark a bit and kills the spanner, but if the thing won't start and your late for work, it is cheaper than taking the day off.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
Have a look at this topic more or less the same www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,7239.0.html
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal