Author Topic: Freeing a weather seized engine  (Read 1452 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Freeing a weather seized engine
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
When I finally pick up the CB350K1 US import I recently bought from DK I need to free up the 'seized from standing' engine. Any tips for what to put down the bores guys, as I would suspect piston rings corroded onto the bores. I read Marvel Mystery Oil somewhere I believe or was it Kroll or something sounding like that. Will be totally stripping the motor anyway.

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Freeing a weather seized engine
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »
Diesel, works a treat. Let it soak in. Have had a bastard engine once that i put my big blow torch too.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:35:21 AM »
Also try Marvel Mystery Oil. Other thing to try is 50% Redex / 50% Diesel. The neat Diesel should probably shift it fine though....

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
Shifted a British single once iron to iron with diesel and
a bit of waiting to give it a chance
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »
Cheers for the advice guys. Never bought a USA import before. TBH I bought the bike for the wheels but it looks so nice in the pics that I am thinking of adding it to the collection and restore it to standard or do a special with it.

Cheers .. Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »
Ash that's how my obsession started, every time I bought a bike for spares I ended up keeping it LOL
Pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
Hey Pete, at least it's a legal obsession.......until those Eurocrats get hold of us lot.

Ash, I'd go with the diesel as well and leave it for a good soaking followed by rocking it back and forth in second gear if you're in a postition to do that with the bike. My mates dad ran a scaffold hire business and always had a barrel of diesel which he chucked any rusted fittings in to soak and even the most siezed ones could be got going again after that usually.

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
If you have trouble with the diesel, try PlusGas. It's thinner and has a bubbling action.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »
The yanks seem to like acetone and ATF 50/50

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »
Wow spoilt for choice !
Cheers everyone ... Ash

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »
I had a rusted up road roller part that broke 2 bearing pullers trying to get the pulley off a shaft, even whilst applying heat, leaving to soak in old engine oil and penetrating oil for a few weeks ( or months) then tapping with a hammer against what was left of the puller has finally resulted in some movement, same story on an old set of split rim wheels that had rusted to close fitting drum brakes, soak in old engine oil and penetrating oil, plus cautious use of a hammer got it appart with no dammage. I am sure diesel would be just as effective as pentrating oil., just something to aid old engine oil to creep a bit. Best thing is old engine oil is free, and mopped up with old rags it makes a handy fire lighting aid.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:15 PM »
On your last point Matthew. Diesel makes a fantastic barbeque lighter. Much better than petrol!
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
We run entierly off wood for the central heating and hot water in winter, just immersion heater as backup or when the photo vols are generating excess electric tricky. I light a lot of fires, for the bbq I prefer a electric paint stripping gun aimed into the base of the charcoal, doesn't taint the food. Used engine oil or brake fluid goes into the central heating boiler on those really damp days when nothing wants to burn. A capful of used oil on a sheet of newspaper still belts out enough heat to light even a stubborn fire.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal