Author Topic: Getting a v5 if you don't know the reg?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline RickyC83

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Getting a v5 if you don't know the reg?
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
Hey guys I have a cb650 frame but I don't know the reg and don't have the v5. How do I go about finding out the reg to get a v5?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a v5 if you don't know the reg?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:01:08 AM »
It aint worth the bother, you have to get it assembled tested , inspected and registered as a Q plate, A WHOLE HEAP OF PAPERWORK AND MONEY
i tried with a kawasaki frame, what a fecking nightmare it was cheaper to buy a £60 frame off ebay which was already registered
pete

Offline RickyC83

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
From what I've looked at it seems
Step one is to fill I the normal v5 application form with a cover letter explaining its a old bike and they can often fined it for you. If not
Step to is to contact honda with frame number and fined out the year it was made. Then reregister with a age related plate. But you do have to get it MOTed to do that which you can do from the frame number.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »
DVLA can trace a reg from a frame nimber BUT they will only do it for PLOD

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:05 AM »
Hi Ricky,

Greatest respect & all that, but listen to Pete & Bryan: save yourself a lot of grief and flog the frame for £30... then buy a V5 one for a few quid more...

I 'imported' a pukka '400F  (all docs in place ).. only from EIRE... and couldn't believe the bloody DVLA hoops & paperwork. In case you're not aware, DVLA has no regional offices anymore, and furthermore will not entertain phone enquiries. EVERYTHING is done through forms / letters / (suggest registered) post through Swansea. What a pain in the arse...

And traps... "do this < 3 months or back to go" type crap.

Look elsewhere within the forum on related DVLA experiences, and in particular, how bloody helpful (not) UK Honda are when it comes to frame / year of manufacture / replying to you.

Finally, do you really want to chance a 'Q' plate bike?

Ok, it might be do-able, but if no special sentimental value etc why give yourself the stress?

Good luck either way,

Simon.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:16:40 AM by Lobo »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
I started this process with a cb250 many years ago, mainly out of concern that a bike with no paperwork might belong to someone who had been relived of their property by light fingered folk. They were as helpful as a chocolate teapot, yes they had the reg no for that frame, no they would no divulge it or confirm if it had any 'history' was or was not stolen. I waited a year or so just in case the old bill showed up ( 2 frames one had its numbers filed off, several engines, piles of junk bits ) then decidecd to scrap or break for spares and generally clear it out. Dvla are seemingly only interested in levying fines for sorn or the like. Beurocratic  bunch of obstructive morons who are a nightmare to deal with. There are a few decent folk working there if you are lucky enough to actually get them.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline RickyC83

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Thanks everyone

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal