SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Cb550f2 spoked rear wheel

(1/4) > >>

JustcallmeMrT:
Hi all,
My bike came with comstars and the original front spoked wheel.  Looking to put the originals back on, so looking for a spoked hub for the rear.  Seen a few on ebay for around £50 from the US, but shipping and import are killers and bring the price up to around £130. One in the UK but asking £120. 
Question is, am I going to find better prices than that, or do I bite the bullet and pay?
Any advice welcome.

AshimotoK0:
Try DK . They may have one from an import bike. One on there at the moment but unusually expensive for them.

Cheers ..Ash

Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP):
I paid 300 euro for one for 750 but it came complete with new rim and spokes ready to fit.You have to shop around.Now doing front wheel new rim and spokes in Germany cheaper with post than DS ;D ;D
All the best
Bitsa

matthewmosse:
Lurk on ebay and a bargin might pop up. I find they tend to go high, higher than I am willing to go anyways. The rear liners tend to crack wich can give rise to strong damand. Price to fix a rear liner was £45 or so, not sure on cost of spokes and rim, I expect over £100. Doing the rebuild of a wheel took me 3 or 4 hrs first time around. Buy used and the rim and spokes may be cosmetically flawed. Beware of painted spokes, I bought one where the paint was filling bad pitting on the spokes, wheel collapsed in service which was annoying, but I was lucky enough to have a spare on the shelf at home so only cost me the time waiting for a spare to come from home and a phonecall. Overall it would seem the odds are it is cheaper to buy a complete serviceable wheel off ebay /  a breakers, but you may get a better looking wheel by buying a hub and building it up. Of the 6 or so spoked wheels I have had on cb500 /550 2 x developed cracked linners within my ownership and another had already been re lined but I do buy at the bottom of the market. A cracked liner gives a pulsing pedal when you brake, and I would be looking hard for a fix or replacement once that happens.

JustcallmeMrT:
I'm planning to rebuild the wheel anyways, so I'll keep my eyes open for an eBay bargain.  Anyone know of a good bike breaker in the slough area?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version