Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Clean the inside of a tank with Caustic soda

(1/4) > >>

Trigger:
Someone posted a thing about using caustic soda to clean the inside of a tank. I use caustic soda to soak carbs, that have come in from the states, so did not have to run out and buy some.
Had two tanks to do which were very rusty inside. Filled one up with a strong mix of caustic just to see if it would work. After 5 days is soak it had loosened some of the rust, but was nowhere near to what my standards are. I think this may work on flash rust.
Went back to my old way of 500g of ball bearings in the tank, and in the tumble dryer for 15 minutes. It was totally spotless in side as always.
For some reason i had a bag of small stone that they use in fish tanks. So thought on the second tank i would give that a try as it would be cheap for any members that had to do this job. Placed 2kg of fish tank stones and 3 liters of water, 15 minutes in the tumble dryer. The results were very good. Only one small problem was getting all the stones out of the tank.
When using ball bearing i just empty out what i can and the rest with a magnet.
When using a tumble dryer for this job, you have to wrap the tank in a blanket and pack the dryer out with pillows so the tank does not touch the side. 
Triggers Top Tip for Today     

UK Pete:
Great tip trigg, i used a cement mixer and pea shingle, FFFFF me thats awkward to get out the fine stuff it leaves behind
pete

Trigger:
Try ball bearings next time Pete. A lot easier to remove ;)

Lobo:
Aye... great tip... the simple methods are often the best. Who dreams up these things - tumble driers with bearings, laying your bike on its side to drop the engine etc etc.

Alas no tumble drier in Brunei... bloody 32 degs all day / every day.. this method sounds far easier than electrolysis.

BUT, when we eventually return home I can see I'll have to lug a tank into Currys to 'help' Mrs Lobo choose said tumble drier with a cavernous opening; and a 750 SOHC block into John Lewis to select  the oven, whilst ensuring of course, they have a special on a dishwasher which can swallow the gearbox + all internals.

Oh, we'll need a garden too... sufficient to lay my old Hondas down.

She'll be so excited...

Paull:
Hi Trigger,

I used caustic soda but as you say, it was a new tank with flash rust and it cleaned it well.

Then i stopped the caustic from working with spirit of salts.

Then lined it with por15.

Worked very well two years later its still good to go.

PaulL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version