Author Topic: Ultra-sonic Cleaner Advice  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Ultra-sonic Cleaner Advice
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
Hi Chaps,

Any advice on ultrasonic cleaners…  Looking on ebay and seem to start around the £120.00 mark for 6 ltr capacity which seems pretty cheap (you get what you pay for but I'm not minted!).  They seem to all originate from China.

Any other supplier recommendations gratefully received!

There are a few home made "ultra-sonic" cleaners on youtube…  very Heath-Robinson but seems to have some success but I doubt they really do a the job required…  Such as carb cleaning etc.

Many thanks.

Liam

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra-sonic Cleaner Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:39:52 PM »
You will have to do a lot of carbs to get a £120 machine to pay for itself. Whats wrong with a 2ltr one? You can do one carb at a time.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:42:26 PM »
2nd that, did my 400/4 carbs in 2l size, one at a time no probs. Helps keep parts for each carb together too.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
Sound advice…  I'm splitting them anyway to refurb, just thought it may give some flexibility for other items, perhaps calipers and the like…

2ltr it is then.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:08:01 AM »
Hi Liam,

Think this discussion was done in the past...

I too bought an ebay £100 u/s cleaner (pun intended) .... and to be honest, am not impressed. It may fine for your dentures (!) , watch straps whatever... but did little for my carbs. The model I used has a heater, and this, coupled with time (ie overnight) & a good cleansing solution produced better results. (but still not comparible to commercially cleaned parts)

Bottom line, it seems m/c parts need something far more beefy than a £100 unit off ebay. I reckon Trigger's advice on perhaps paying someone else to do it may be better.

Cheers,
Simon

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »
Hi Liam,

Think this discussion was done in the past...

I too bought an ebay £100 u/s cleaner (pun intended) .... and to be honest, am not impressed. It may fine for your dentures (!) , watch straps whatever... but did little for my carbs. The model I used has a heater, and this, coupled with time (ie overnight) & a good cleansing solution produced better results. (but still not comparible to commercially cleaned parts)

Bottom line, it seems m/c parts need something far more beefy than a £100 unit off ebay. I reckon Trigger's advice on perhaps paying someone else to do it may be better.

Cheers,
Simon
Yep, I agree with Lobo, you need one with a heater. Mine runs at 57 degrees and will do a carb in 40 minutes.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
It sounds like the ultra sonic cleaner that Lobo has is the same as I have, maybe his isn't working as it should. It's fair to say that they do have their limitations. A heated one is essential and the addition of a detergent formulated for carb cleaning. Diluted windscreen washer fluid seems to work quite well. Initial de- greasing helps, I've put items in the cleaner that I thought were clean and after a cleaning cycle looked in the tank to see quite an amount of grime.

What irritates me is the noise it makes, a sort of buzzing and the sort that seems to go right though you. Chucking a towel over it helps, well over the lid that rattles.

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »
Cheers guys….  Interesting stuff!  I've also read the previous threads regarding the same theme probably worth the money, time will tell.

I may opt for the "Maplin" product.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 01:42:05 PM »
Good luck..

My personal conclusion is that the £100 units are fine for 'rattling' necklaces, false teeth etc... but do not have enough 'oomph' for 40 yr old (relatively) heavy metal pieces, ie just tickled 'em. Whilst it did get them clean(ish)... the parts I did just never looked like the results commercial sonic cleaning companies were offering.

A great tip from Peter (Kent) ref windscreen washer... as I reckon this is 90% of the battle... ie heat, time & cleaning agent. I tried all sorts... including, very stupidly, volatile substances, which in hindsight, were a bloody time bomb in my workshop.

Hey ho...

Offline archmill

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
Liam, I did my F2 carbs in a £20 Aldi ultra sonic cleaner using "carb clean" fluid bought on E-bay. Worked a treat! Just takes longer, I.E. two or 3 minute timer so you have to be there to keep switching it back on ( watch a movie in the kitchen ! LOL ). Did an article for Practical Sportsbikes. Can send you a copy on Word if you want.

Archmill :D :D :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal