Author Topic: M.O.T. and Tax exemption?  (Read 5492 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: M.O.T. and Tax exemption?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »
Small problem with this Bitsa. A cop is no mechanic. See this problem across many country's in europe. 

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
Trig
Thats true but people like me, you and others would not have a problem would we?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »
True Bitsa but, unfair.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 10:38:30 PM »
I think the 30 year tax exemption is a good thing, but I don't mind someone looking over my cars and bikes to make sure I haven't missed something. That could be done every 2 years on classics.  Having said all of that, if we took a straw poll of all of our acquaintances collectively, how many have had an accident which could TRUTHFULLY be attributed to vehicle failure.  I've bought many accident damaged vehicles where the cause of the so called accident was a NUT loose on the controls.  It's driver education that needs improving.
All this elf an safety bullspit is having a bad effect on the gene pool - the ones who would have previously killed themselves through stupidity are now surviving and producing more idiots.

So true!
Judging by the number of cars driving around with one or more failed lights - if they weren't tested once a year and had to fix the lights, I reckon there would soon be cars out there with no working lights at all.

No road tax has got to be good though.  :)
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 12:32:43 AM »
I would love to comment on this but, I can not  >:(

Ok Trig... you got me! Are you a secret DVLA agent / Rozzer in our midst!!!

S

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 08:02:22 AM »
Two comments, if you can remember the old handwritten failure tickets I had a moped come and even writing 3 to a line I ran out of space and the little Herbert tried to tell me it had to be OK cos it passed last year------ even though he ha twisted the frame and fitted completely different model forks BACKWARDS

Did you know that a plod has to have written authority from his Chief Constabule to carry out roadside inspections and you are entiteled to ask to see it before he starts------but if he has one by god are you in the shite for asking!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
Thing is, just try to search out a 30+year old banger that will go halfway reliably without the know how of enthusiasts. Setting points is a black art to most these days to most. In countries where no mot applies to old vehicles they don't get piles of accidents, and I am not hearing of a lot from the 1960 mot cut off that came in next year. From what I have heard the decision has alrady been taken at a higher level, the consultation is just a PR exercise. It is to do with new Mot test or so I have heard. Rather than allow the examiner freedom to pass if it met the standard of the day it was built, the latest EU reformed Mot test headed our way will be further computerised even more, old stuff will never pass so rather than have a less complex mot for old stuff it just gets exemption. Crazy if true. On the other hand insurance companies may be asking for an mot type test if it doesn't work out -ie if it does lead to a spate of accidents. I doubt it will, classics genrally cost more to start with and aren't exacly renowned for their economy and need more dad to day maintenance. Hardly worthwhile seeking one out just to dogde mots. The folk who routinely run around with blown lights are just not the motivated folk who want the extra work of adjusting the brakes every 1500 miles with a spanner.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline cheshirecat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
Hi

Interesting subject but I agree with all vehicles having a M.O.T of some kind. The only issue I have with the scrapping of M.O.T's for older vehicles is that due to E.U legislation, there are now fewer and fewer people qualified or able to actually do any work on these vehicles. If it wasn't for computers and the equipment now needed older bikes will be an issue in the future. I have had experience with a mechanic who didn't even know what a strobe light was (it was a classic car) Also as another thought, if you are riding your prized classic and the local traffic police pull you up and find a fault, will you have a set time to repair it? Will you have to have it scrapped or sorned as a matter of course? and if there is no such thing as a M.O.T, where do you take it to have it checked and passed as fit. Or at worst will you have to have it impounded and crushed? The E.U. (bless their little cotton socks  :P) don't want older vehicles on the road in any country so maybe it is just another ploy to rid the world of what they consider as old, gas guzzling, non compliant vehicles.

This woman rider has built in airbags  ;-)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »
... slightly off topic...my CB750 is classed 'Historic'... Ie no road tax to pay. With this new 'no tax disc' system, do I have to still 'apply' each year for er... the Historic 'disc'.... or the fact that its MOT is current & the bike insured enough for them?

I bet I can guess the answer, (!) but just hoping.... Anyone enlighten me?

Ta.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
Yep still have to apply.
Theirs no getting out of it.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »
Judging by the number of cars driving around with one or more failed lights - if they weren't tested once a year and had to fix the lights, I reckon there would soon be cars out there with no working lights at all.

No road tax has got to be good though.  :)

But how many of them are 30 years old if they have made it this far than they are fairly well looked after already.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
Do test a fair few older cars and bikes, and to be honest, a good few classic owners try to justify excessive wear on the fact that it is an old vehicle. I have worked on/ owned lots of old vehicles and know what is correct. This is not often true of the classic vehicle owner. Again a good few experts can quote lots of facts and figures for their respective vehicles, but would not have a clue how to balance carbs, set tappets etc.

Generally bikes are better, because  they are less complicated, but I do test a few old ones just for peace of mind for the owners.

As for 30 year old vehicles, can you imagin how many Capri 2.8i's alfa's, fiats etc, could reappear if they were mot exempt. Those rotten monocoque designs were more than slightly prone to rust. The running gear was pretty reliable though. Could actually see a small market for older vehicles that did not need testing.

Not sure how well the tax/mot/insurance system will be policed as the police forces have drastically cut back in terms of manpower and will probably rely on cameras. How often do you see a police car these days.

I also believe the survey is plausible as the uk often goes its own way on mot. For example the mot was kept as an annual event and not every two years as recommended by the EU.

The "new" mot is not a change to the test regime, but only the admin side as Vosa has lost the franchise and the new system is migrating to a web based system. No changes to the test at all.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Hi
 I have had experience with a mechanic who didn't even know what a strobe light was (it was a classic car)

I have noticed in the last couple of years that a lot of mechanics have no clue what a strobe light is, no idea what points are and one bike shop were 3 mechanics had never heard of a floating caliper and no idea on how to set the brake on a 400f.
Today i see a couple of so called professional mechanics scratching there head at the sight of a carb.
There is a lot of people in the business that do not understand the workings of anything before 1980. They only understand to plug a computer in to the ECU and let the vehicle tell you its problems. 7 out of 10 times the computer is giving the wrong code.   

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
How right you are Trig even when the frackin thing tells them whats wrong they still cant fix it shaft rubbers the lot of them ;D ;D
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal