Author Topic: DSS replica downpipes  (Read 8717 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: DSS replica downpipes
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »
Looks very good. If I can get the time to weld them up I might even try to save my 550k3 exhauts. Thanks for sharing that. Great results. I have a few exhausts to send them. I have some exhausts of that rough era and capacity honda, bought from the scrappies because I thought they might with a bit of work fit my wifes 250 nighthawk and they were not that much. I must put them up in the members for sale section, might be of use to someone on here. I think that scrappies weighed in a load of these little old hondas. The guy in charge lacked much of a clue about older stuff. Heatbreaking. Over the years I found all sorts of things like a cable operated disk brake caliper hanging out of a mountain of scrap bikes. Ask them if they had sutch and sutch a bike, no, go look in their compound, you would find 3 in the brambles.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Drew400

• SOHC Pro
  • 400/4 I restored
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »
Nice one, Ash.

Cheers, D.
Previous bikes:Puch Maxi 50, CD175, Suzuki T500, CX500, Z200, GS850, XS1100, GT750 (kettle), RD400, GTR1000 (not too many boastables in there!), CB750F2 Phil Read Replica

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »
They didn't rechrome the silencers then?   8)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
They didn't rechrome the silencers then?   8)
No a bit far gone.. on my 250K0 I managed to get a pair of NOS complete Genuine exhaustsin their original polythene  from Govnors Bridge , which was one of those rare finds
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 04:13:27 PM »
A bit ????
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
Well in need of a bit of tlc? Back when I first started on bikes, my mate worked out his dt50 exhaust was restricted and made up a replacement out of sheet steel working out the shapes needed to get a approximate curve and cones to get a working expansion chamber, it remarkably increased speed by over 50% I reacon that for pipes that cannot be replicated economically using tooling and presses, then freehand metalworking might render acceptable results. With a bit of practice and a lot of patience. The cb500/4 exhausts are about the hardest shape, compared to these the 550k3 are simples. Mind you I suspect to pay the tinbasher a decent wage the cost could be high, and the stamped numbers would present considerable problems.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
  • making exhausts in the uk since 1970
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
We are the manufacturer of the replica 400-4 downpipes sold by David Silver.

There has been a fitting problem related to recent production- we are in the final stages of updating manufacturing jigs and making some minor changes to ensure that this is resolved and the "normal" fitting process is resumed. This has involved working on a bike as clearances (even with the original system) has always been very close

We are working hard to make sure that David Silver can resume supply of the latest (no problems!) production very shortly

apologies to anyone that has struggled with this recent stock- sorry !!!!!!!
Motad uk

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
  • making exhausts in the uk since 1970
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
Hmmmm. I wonder what the downpipes that Wemoto sell are like,to fit.

Kenny.

I got mine from Wemoto and had the same problems - not quite lining up etc. To be fair to Wemoto, after a couple of photos were email, the pipes were collected and replaced in double quick time.
Makes you wonder if they all come from the same supplier...

David Silver is the only distributor of our replica pipes- we do not supply anyone else
Motad uk

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
We are the manufacturer of the replica 400-4 downpipes sold by David Silver.

There has been a fitting problem related to recent production- we are in the final stages of updating manufacturing jigs and making some minor changes to ensure that this is resolved and the "normal" fitting process is resumed. This has involved working on a bike as clearances (even with the original system) has always been very close

We are working hard to make sure that David Silver can resume supply of the latest (no problems!) production very shortly

apologies to anyone that has struggled with this recent stock- sorry !!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply. Good to know progress is being made. Cheers.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline kenny1059

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »
Look forward to D.S. getting downpipes back in stock. :) :)

I notice that Wemoto don't list 400/4 downpipes anymore.

Kenny.
CB 400F (1976), Yamaha XJ900 Diversion (now deceased), CBF 600 (2011). VFR 800 Crossrunner (2015).

Offline ewanhughes

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
I was fortunate enough to win an ebay auction for 3 original (fairly scabby) headers and collector box for 31.77.
It was missing the number 1 header so i phoned Dave Silvers and asked if he had any old solid number 1 pipes lying around after their 400f renovation project.
20 quid later i had the missing pipe.

185 quid later they were all shiny and new  :)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
Looks fantastic! .. who did the chroming? did you have to pre-soak in caustic soda?

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:09:41 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline ewanhughes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
Oops, forgot to say who did the chroming. Doh!

It was done by Chromefix in Birmingham.  (also known as Broadway Brass Limited)
I didn't have to do any prep work at all, just sent them away and they came back, i think, within a fortnight.
I must admit i was surprised that they actually did exhaust pipes as i'd heard about the chemical contamination issues and how some other companies are reluctant to take on the job.

Have a look at their project gallery, they do some nice work.

http://www.chromefix.co.uk/

ETA... the 4 finned clamps were also included in the price.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:25:46 PM by ewanhughes »

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
Hmm Trig do you think they will chrome my HM300's   :P

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
I was thinking the same thing Mick. I have a set of chromless 323's that could do with a bit of bling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal