Author Topic: Forks on ebay - worth the money?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Forks on ebay - worth the money?
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201201272775&alt=web

Thinking of grabbing these just for the right lower leg to replace mine - damaged thread for the second caliper to be fitted - see pic below.  What do you guys think?  Decent for the money?  Wait and keep looking?  Try to repair the damage instead?  I have no real use for the other bits, but haven't been able to find a single right fork or lower in the UK.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Forks on ebay - worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
Could be worth a try, but bear in mind D.S.S can still get a new lower right fork case part number  51421 393 003, at the sum of £87.10 inc V.A.T. so don't get carried away and bid stupid money for them!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »
Probably worth a shot, sell on rebuilt with your dammaged one on there and inform potential buyer of fault? I think I would have a fork lower in my spares stash if these don't go your way ( but note it can take me an age to dig bits out of the spares stash, as I have 4 sohc bikes in bits and always need to check it is not them I am accidentally breaking up beforehand). Not sure what it would cost to get yours welded. Or if advisable.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:40:23 PM »
Mr T
A while back I bought a gs550 which the PO smashed into the central reservation and broke them just like that and of course all bent.I took the whole front end to a company in Kent that repaired and straighted all back true for I think 80 quid.Fanastic job couldnt see the ali had been broke at all.I know you are not close to them but another option to you, if you want the details will try and dig them out for you.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
Looking at those the upper looks pretty good in the working area, I might be willing to buy the rest of the bits off you if you bought them.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »
Sounds good Matthew, will let you know if I win the auction, and if you're still interested we can work something out.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
Might be worth having a contact if not too much trouble Bitsa.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »
Cool. Just don't go wild. Yours should weld I reacon - though personally if it were me I would rather replace. I think alloy can be tricky. Good luck.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »
MrT
Will have a look for you tonight
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:53:46 PM »
Cool. Just don't go wild. Yours should weld I reacon - though personally if it were me I would rather replace. I think alloy can be tricky. Good luck.
Just got them for £50 with the shipping.  Will let you know how they look once they arrive.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:28 PM »
Funny thing, I was rooting through the shed and dug out my spare forks pile ( was after an exhaust which turned up at the bottom) I found I would indeed have a home for a good set of stanchions. One of my sets is well pitted and if replaced I could witout guilt, bend the pitted ones  about to make some leading link forks for the sidecar outfit. Nice source of good quality steel. I have streightened forks on the tube bender as well as vandalised them.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »
MR T
Sorry I am late got hung with jobs
Look at their website highly recommend them
www.motoliner.com
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:02 AM »
MR T
Sorry I am late got hung with jobs
Look at their website highly recommend them
www.motoliner.com
Cheers
Bitsa
No worries.  Thanks Bitsa!