Author Topic: Update on my 550 project  (Read 1914 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Update on my 550 project
« on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
I've been tinkering away and have managed to tear down the bike completely.  This is the final photo with the engine still in.

Got a replacement engine with only 4500 miles and in excellent nick.

Forks are disassembled and tubes ready to go for a rechrome.

Decided to take the dremel for a spin today and see what I could do...

Not bad for a first try.  With some different grits of polishing compound I should get close to a mirror finish.

Still a million and one things to do, but some progress feels nice so I thought I'd share.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Update on my 550 project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
Sound like you have the 4 bug ;D Its the same for all of us when we finish a bit and stand back and look you get the boost to do the next bit.My biggest frustration and all ways has been waiting on bits that you have sent off for various things.
Best of luck
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
So now you have a (nearly) new engine you no longer need to strip the old one (I think you were musing, or was that someone else?), you can drop that straight in?
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »
So now you have a (nearly) new engine you no longer need to strip the old one (I think you were musing, or was that someone else?), you can drop that straight in?
That's right, should drop straight in, just needs an oil change.  Saves me stripping that other one and doing all the bearings and seals.

Offline peterengland

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
Do you know where I can get extra polishing bits for my Dremel? I can't seem to find any individual ones only packs of loads of bits, most of which I won't use.
Suzuki 50
Suzuki GT185
Honda CD175
Yamaha RD350
Honda 50 crunch box
Honda 400/4
Honda 550/4
Honda 750C

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
Place by me had a huge display case of them, not looked recently but try Charlies stores online or ebay of course. I bought a selection set from Lidl, the other week, you get a lot more bits for £5. I am afraid my dremel died years ago,I now have a cheap version made by blackspur of all brands yet it was a fraction of the cost of a dremel and has done way more work. I recon you could buy the selection sets, remove the polishing bits and sell on the rest and it cost you less than genuine individual dremel bits. Needs costing up though as I haven't bought anything other than lidl cheap bits in years.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »

If like me, you like the fact that a Dremel (or for that matter, any tool similar in use to be called a "Dremel" ) can get into areas that a polishing mop can't then I can recommend buying the new SpeedClic system. There are 3 sanding flap wheels of varying grades which are fantastic, very very quick to change between them, literally seconds, they also have a proper polishing mop attachment, unlike those very poor bits of fluff which you screw onto what is basically a shortened self tapper. The system is not cheap but if you shop around you can buy each attachment for a LOT less than the price B&Q sell them for.

For me, the SpeedClic system is what Dremel should have used right from the start, just a brilliant piece of kit.
Oddjob have you got any photo / visual examples of where / how you've used the speedclick attachments with success??

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
Polishings looking great. Just done my 750 cases so know how hard it is. Top job.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal