Author Topic: No oil pressure  (Read 1520 times)

Offline PeterPen

• View Profile
No oil pressure
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »
Had engine out to renew cyl base gasket. Dropped sump and cleaned oil pump filter. Engine back in, oil in tank, new filter. Cranked engine with plugs out, expecting oil light to go out. Poured a pint or so of oil through tappet cover no good. Took filter housing off, bone dry. Dropped exhaust and sump cover, took oil pump off. Have dismantled pump and plan to do what we did when renewing car oil pumps. Pack it with Vaseline to make it prime. No Vaseline in home and it's 20.00, will get some in morning. Will that work and why wouldn't the pump pick the oil up. Engine was last run 4 weeks ago. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: No oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:02:24 PM »
I assume by "oil in the tank" you are referring to a 750 engine?
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:31 PM »
Peter I assume
I knackered a starter motor out trying to get the oil light out after she sat for 2 years to no avail.I have never primed any pump and guess what when I put it back and connected it all up the light went out within 10 secs from starting.I am not saying yours will be the same but have to say never came across a pump being shot or anything similar I can think off.Am I the lucky one?
Don't think so.Run her and after 10 seconds or so it don't go out start looking.Start by disconnecting the feed line from the tank oil there?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline PeterPen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
Yes 750 SOHC K6.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
Peter
Mine too is a k6 motor.At a thousand revs the pump drive is turning faster a lot more than kick or starter
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline PeterPen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
Before engine removal, oil light would go out after about 10 kicks as the battery was no good. I daren't risk starting it if the oil filter is empty.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
If you look at your oil way. Look at the one that has the metal plunger with a rubber end. See if this is moving freely and is not leaking. Prime the pump up and make sure it is not sucking air in.

Offline PeterPen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
Stripped and cleaned the oil pump, packed rotors with petroleum jelly, reassembled. Cranking with no plugs, oil light out. Next step, plugs in, test tank on and hopefully it will start.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal