Author Topic: new member in cheshire  (Read 1002 times)

Offline D.Dibbley

• View Profile
new member in cheshire
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »

Hi I'm Wayne. l'm building a Honda cb550f chop. I was looking for a donor bike for a project for a while, when one appeared on E Bay. Just recently managed to clear some space in my garage to start playing. So hopefully I get some time to start putting it together. I'll post some pictures as I go. Hopefully there should be enough information or experience to get me though any problems.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: new member in cheshire
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »
Hi Wayne, and welcome. If you are removing standard parts to replace with other bits (clocks etc) don't forget to offer them for sale on here, some of the guys on here have been hunting for 550 bits for some time!:))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
welcome Wayne. Chopper, not my cup of tea but, i do have a crazy mate that will only ride hard tails. Most be something in it.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »
Welcome from me to.

Only one crazy mate Trig  ;)

Mick

Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »
Hi, I once had a cb550 chop project, never put it on the road, wasn't my welding on the frame and found one too many problems to truly belive the welding was really up to it - like it wasn't streight. I do vaugely plan to build one up in the future but after reading up on the rules will not be bothering with a doner bike but will be doing a scratch built frame and msva instead. I still have a few bits like the 4 into1 slash cut exhaust and a rear wheel re laced with a 15 inch custom rim floating around somplace. I built mine up in a caravan - no shed back then, then found it was too long to get out the door, but the caravan was so rotten I rode it through the front wall instead. There are some nice cb550 based customs out there, the engines do look good in that kind of bike. Mine was frankly rubbish and no photos exist thankfully.
If I ever get around to building one I'd be tempted to build a hardtail with a sidecar with little or no suspension to go with it. 
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »
welcome and good luck with your chopper project
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal