Author Topic: new to honda fours  (Read 6442 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: new to honda fours
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome gents, very heartening. Yeah Steve the SIII is a desirable bike and the most collectable , beating the 'trip and below that there's the Daytona and Sprint, vastly underrated bikes those two if you're looking for a bargain. Having said all that about Hinckley Triumphs, what I know about Honda fours you could write on a postage stamp but I'm looking forward to getting to know the new bike. I will be looking for chrome trim for the seat and seat cowl if anyone has any ideas.

Was in DK and they have a whole seat unit in red.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »
Cheers Graham, unfortunately I am way too tight fisted to part with the dosh required for the complete seat  but I do appreciate you spotting that and remembering me and the email. All that I really want is the three bits of chrome strip but it looks like I might have a bit of a wait on my hands ! Regarding my ,,shall we say parsimony ? I think that I might have to change my ways and stop being such a cheapskate eventually looking at so of the spares prices, mind you, I got the bike insured for 48 quid so even I cant moan at that.

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
I would advise you all as we like to be tight fisted it comes up and bites you on your ass.You gain here and there but lose in the long run,
If you are going to do it do it right, be warned I have magnificent experience in this
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »
Hi Bitsa,
             Totally agree with you, I bet no-one into these old bikes hasn't been "bit on the ass" at sometime, equivalent to the old mechanic sucking in through his teeth.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
Cheers Graham, unfortunately I am way too tight fisted to part with the dosh required for the complete seat  but I do appreciate you spotting that and remembering me and the email. All that I really want is the three bits of chrome strip but it looks like I might have a bit of a wait on my hands ! Regarding my ,,shall we say parsimony ? I think that I might have to change my ways and stop being such a cheapskate eventually looking at so of the spares prices, mind you, I got the bike insured for 48 quid so even I cant moan at that.

What you have to do in this game is buy a unit and take off the parts you want and then sell the rest on. I had to do this to get the chrome seat rails on a CB550F, bought a seat for £35, took the rails and then put it up on fleabay. Got £70 for the seat a year later.
DK are always up for a deal so, never go on the price you see ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
Hi Bitsa,
             Totally agree with you, I bet no-one into these old bikes hasn't been "bit on the ass" at sometime, equivalent to the old mechanic sucking in through his teeth.

I do not suck through my teeth, rub my chin, maybe ;D

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »
Yeah remember that and get it today with modern technicians bad excuse for the skill of mechanic but do have have to say in my day I did not do that but many of my gaffers did
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »
Thanks fellers, point taken Trigger ref ebay, does anyone know if the bike was imported into the UK in what I think is 'pacific' blue? these are the exact seat rails that I want so might need a blue seat but wont hang about waiting for this colour if blue wasn't a UK colour. Anyway, I hope that I don't seem ungrateful for the advice.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 09:46:57 PM »
No CB750F2 was Pacific blue to my knowledge. There was Sulphur Yellow, Candy Presto Red, Candy Sword Blue ( in some country's), Black and a Pearl Shell White in Japan. And i have seen one in Candy Antares Red on a change over.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I picked the new bike up on Sunday, very chuffed with it although after the 100 mile ride home it didn't look quite so pristine but an hours washing and then a good spray with oil has brought it back to its former self. Of course I was freezing cold after a couple of hours in the saddle so I wasn't then relishing giving it the beauty treatment in what daylight was left but needs must.
On the way back, on the middle lane of the M1 in traffic naturally, it seemed about to run out of fuel but it limped on for a few miles on what seemed like three cylinders until repeated changing down and gunning the throttle seemed to clear it, it had been raining but wasn't when the engine went dodgy nor can I think that there would be an intermittent fuel problem that would just clear up again so I am left wondering if one of the carbs could have iced up, it was cold weather but not freezing although the cold wind at 70 ish may have just been enough, I doubt it would have been a coil going down as I think that it would have been two cylinders which wouldn't have allowed me to limp on at 50 for a few miles, anyone got any thoughts on this ?
On a happier note, hopefully there is  photo attached cut and pasted from the ebay ad.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
looks like a nice F2, not original colour. Never heard of iced up carbs before and was a long distance dispatch rider years ago. 

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »
More like a spark cap shorting out or crap in one carb,Seen a similar colour like that on the old TV show the professionals
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
It had been raining earlier but not enough to drench the caps but you could well be right Bitsa.  I've only ever encountered carb icing once before and strangely enough it was on a Volvo for anyone who enjoys a good paradox.
Whatever, I'm sure that it will be ok and I still keep sneaking into the garage to have a good look at it.
I don't get out much....

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 09:31:22 AM »
One way to find out about the caps run it in a dark place and if it is you will see them arking out
Cheers
Bitsa

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:04 AM »
... and the caps don't have to be drenched. I've seen them arcing when the atmosphere is very moist (like when riding in fog).

Once the insulation starts to break down, it doesn't take much.

New plug caps may fix it unless the problem is with the coils themselves. The junction between the HT lead and the coil body (under the tank) is a good place to start.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal