Author Topic: K0 forks/rebound  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
K0 forks/rebound
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »
Hi all.
  Seal went. Fitting new seals both side (to be cautious) and replacing one inner tube/stanchion as the burgh is too deep.
   So What stops the the whole leg falling off if one lifts the front of the bike of the ground without the pads and front brake in place??
    Is there reasonable rebound in this early design?? I notice the K2/3 onwards is a different system internally - even has a screw at the base the of the fork. Looks like a better design as Honda moves onwards and upwards? I've been riding her for over a year and apart from the usual rear end wobble when cornering fast on uneven surface, common with early largish Honda's, I haven't noticed anything untoward..😳
     I see some guys have used K3 outers and still used the K0 internals but with welding the cup to the spacer as K0 forks are difficult to obtain. Intrigued.... 😯

Nige.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: K0 forks/rebound
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 04:36:12 PM »
It appears that the 47mm internal circlip no 22  which sits on top of the oil seal is all that stops it coming apart

pete

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
Indeed.. Unusual. Thanks.
  Any thoughts on the rebound design?

Nige.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »
They are quite a crude design , i did read somewhere how they work but i cant find where i read it
pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »
Yep all that keeps them together is the cir clip at the top.Its well worth replacing the springs with progressive springs It totally transforms the way it rides and handles.I also changed the rear shocks and to date no rear end wobble yet. 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
Agreed but have you tried to take them apart once the circlip is removed not real easy?After you should defiantly replace the seal.
No easy thing as I recall on the 250s etc maybe be wrong but something flashes at me
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
Many thanks Pete and guys. One could spend a lot of money and time improving this design but that's just not within the 'flavour' of this restoration. This model and early K's reflect the dynamic, difficult and exciting times for Honda. I have restored her very close to original spec.
   This project has proven the most difficult, expensive (more frustrating) of my Honda's but the 1500 miles a year riding and visiting events seems worth it.
   Great stuff on this site guys and is a huge help to all. Thanks.

Nige.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:27:32 PM »
Hey nige can you post up a picture of your k0
pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
Yep agree post a pic.  :)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of my K0 and Steph's CB550F2, as I don't have any other suitable close ups of mine on its own yet. There are still one or two items to be done, but on the whole I love her! :D

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
Nice photos where was that?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »
Lovely looking bikes nige, great looking 750 k0 you have, i will have one in red and one in candy blue one day, i am still in the process of getting all the parts and reconditioning any bits that need doing then i will have a big build off doing both together, hopefully by the end of next year, oh there i go again bloody dreaming, the rate i am going at it will be at least 5 years
pete 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
Nice looking K0 Nige but, i still like the 550F2 with those one off Exhausts :)

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
Thanks for your kind words guys. It was taken at Christchurch Quay, Dorset earlier in April when the roads were dry and salt free! Both these bikes are ridden regularly in the New Forest and pop down to Poole Quay from time to time. Steph's pipes are hand made Stainless copied exactly from the original - a work of art to admire. These bikes seem very suited to zooming around the N F, giving the sensation of travelling must faster than we really are!😳 they run up around 1300 miles a year.
   Sadly, I rarely see other early K models, (a Candy Gold K2 Poole Quay) never a K0 on the road in 2 years and that's around Dorset/Hampshire/Somerset -including VJMCM SammyMiller meets.. I'd love to meet up with some K's (and other Single Overhead Cams) without racking too many miles up. Can we organise a pub meet one day in Summer?
    Nige.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
I can't see any problem racking up miles on these bikes, if you look after them they are totally reliable, and it's not like mileage means anything on 30+ year old bikes unless you plan on selling it, and even then condition is far more important than mileage. Before I became ill 2 years ago I did 27,000 hard miles on my 750F1 in 18 months, and it never missed a beat!:))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal