Author Topic: Hello- I appear to have a Seeley!  (Read 6017 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Hello- I appear to have a Seeley!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »
The rickman now lives in my garage, it was undergoing a transformation , i am converting it to the long tank single seat as you can see it still needs finishing

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 07:28:27 AM »
That black Rickman is a real beauty. Had something similar in the early eighties, a Rickman Kawasaki Z1B. O how I wish I had kept hold of that one. Kawasaki lime green, alloy wheels, triple disc brakes, the whole works. Secondhand cost me a mighty £1200 in 1981, and that was a pile of money back then. Got it off a guy called Jones that lived in Fleetwood if I remember correctly. Not even got a picture any more. Happy days. What's something like that worth these days, any ideas. Must be 10k plus I guess.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Erling

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »
Probably better keep silent as I can't do pictures, but I do have a Seeley. New in '78 and fitted with the original Sandcast engine. Carried me to the I.o.M races next year and Misano Italy '82 Moto GP. On long runs a little irritating as tank filler is on the left so only 16 litres was possible to the 19 when kept upright as it has only a side stand. Centre one no room for with the 4 in 1 exhaust for the big diameter Seeley "silencer". Half a dozen years and a ko engine with 8xxcc was fitted. Never ran well. An '84 CBX 750 engine came my way. Could just be shoehorned into the Seeley frame! Did well for the next 25 years, but now some electric fault has stranded it.
     Erling.
Will ad picture if some day I find out how to do it.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
Not sure on there value roy, but over the last year they have over doubled in asking price
there are people on ebay asking as much as 15k for them, go back a few years and the money was just not in them, i love rickmans they are a marmite bike , you love them or hate them, i have to say when you ride them you realise just how crap the jap bikes were handling at the time
Here is me on my other one a Z1R Rickman, it goes like a rocket and handles like it is on rails, an amazing bike

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
Now that is a very cool bike indeed Pete...

Offline Eyeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »
Pathetic earthlings. The sole purpose of the Z1r was to terrify, using the strange combination of powerful motor, flexi frame and shit brakes. Dilute it not with your fine handling rickman tubes! In fact, what you really need to do is this:

Untitled by atuttogas1958, on Flickr

A VERY scary bike! Mine is completely unrestored. 145BHP at the rear wheel-eek! Front brake uses a cable  :o to operate a remote master cylinder. My BSA has better brakes.

Cheers

ATG
Paul
Follow my witter on Twitter!
 @classicrider

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »
A turbo, nice one paul, your obviously a nutter ;D ;D ;D
pete

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »
Probably better keep silent as I can't do pictures, but I do have a Seeley. New in '78 and fitted with the original Sandcast engine. Carried me to the I.o.M races next year and Misano Italy '82 Moto GP. On long runs a little irritating as tank filler is on the left so only 16 litres was possible to the 19 when kept upright as it has only a side stand. Centre one no room for with the 4 in 1 exhaust for the big diameter Seeley "silencer". Half a dozen years and a ko engine with 8xxcc was fitted. Never ran well. An '84 CBX 750 engine came my way. Could just be shoehorned into the Seeley frame! Did well for the next 25 years, but now some electric fault has stranded it.
     Erling.
Will ad picture if some day I find out how to do it.
To add pics ask trigger hes a master at it
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
Keep them old photos coming love em ;D
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »
Old pics...

Here's another:

Honda Britain(s) in the car park at the Gaulioses Powerbikes meeting at Brands Hatch in 1978
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 03:11:41 PM »
Brill Steve yeah remember them well now
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
  • making exhausts in the uk since 1970
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »
Got to drag this story out!- working at Micron in the 90s (my 10 year holiday from motad)

We were mega busy, phones going crazy and we were all under pressure

Lisa takes a call (on a bad line) and when asked a question, when she asked who was calling was told "Mr Silly"-   just before she told the person to stop the "wind up" and that we did not have time for joking- it was Colin  calling!!

that was a lucky escape

(and nice Neta on the Kawa- they just would not give in and break!)
Motad uk

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
Good story Ian very funny
the Neta on the Kawasaki really suits the character of the engine makes it feel smooth and turbine like, is very neighbor friendly ,, i have to say they are great pipes if you want a sensible bike, i have often fancied putting a noisier / slimmer yoshi style pipe, do you make anything a bit wilder than the neta?
pete

Offline motad_uk

• SOHC Associate
  • making exhausts in the uk since 1970
    • View Profile
    • MOTAD EXHAUSTS
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »
we used to make Yoshimura under licence for David Dixon the uk importer in the 80s   (that's the 1980s!!!)

as with all of this "thin" silencer 4-1 the power was just appalling with the major mid range "hole" making it feel good!   (so we don't!)
Motad uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal