Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Alloy Bearing retainer removal

(1/5) > >>

AshimotoK0:
I had 4 rear Hubs (CB250/350 ... similar to 400/350 Four) to remove. One hub had been on a rolling frame left out in the open for years. The clean looking 350K1 one is as it came off the bike I bought from a DK US import and never been cleaned . Not bad for a 45 year old part ! Note the 36  drilled 'dimples' on the early 250 / 350 K0/K1 only bikes fitted 1968/69 only, inbetween the spoke holes
I didn't have the correct tool so used two old twist drills clamped in the jaws of an old  machine vice, as in the picture, and all four retainers  came out easily with damage (despite the fact someone had previously 'had a go' at one of them). Only one of them was staked but I drilled this one slightly first. I did a similar thing with the 750K0 front wheel ring retainer with a piece of flat bar fitted into the jaws of the vice and this came out fine too. The K0 one was staked too so drilled out first. I clamped the hubs in the trusty old BD Workmate . (got one of the original alloy Workmates too)

The one with the sprocket had damaged sprocket retaining nuts and no large washer only the circlip. The sprocket would not shift ( I suspect a pattern sprocket with a slightly small centre hole has been forced on at some time) . I had to angle grind the sprocket off to remove the spokes. Going to mill into the remainder of the sprocket to try  remove it.

Ash

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

hairygit:
Nice result Ash, I have seen hubs scrapped by peoples ham fisted attempts at removing them, oftem with a big hammer and a screwdriver:o, or worse, a cold chisel trying to turn it.

Trigger:
Ash, how many bikes are you building ? Seems like a lot of hubs for 1 bike.

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Trigger on January 09, 2015, 10:52:49 AM ---Ash, how many bikes are you building ? Seems like a lot of hubs for 1 bike.

--- End quote ---

I need one  for my CB250K0 and one for my CB350K1 but while I had the bodgy tool out I decided I would strip all of the hubs I have. i also did both CB750 front hubs at the same time but the rear one I stripped way back.

That non removable sprocket is a bit of a mystery though? It was from a US import CL350K3.
Does anyone know if this hub is the same as the 400/4 rear?

Ash

Trigger:

--- Quote from: AshimotoK0 on January 09, 2015, 11:08:30 AM ---
--- Quote from: Trigger on January 09, 2015, 10:52:49 AM ---Ash, how many bikes are you building ? Seems like a lot of hubs for 1 bike.

--- End quote ---

I need one  for my CB250K0 and one for my CB350K1 but while I had the bodgy tool out I decided I would strip all of the hubs I have. i also did both CB750 front hubs at the same time but the rear one I stripped way back.

That non removable sprocket is a bit of a mystery though? It was from a US import CL350K3.
Does anyone know if this hub is the same as the 400/4 rear?

Ash

--- End quote ---

Not the same hub as the 400f mate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version