Author Topic: Winter storage for our lovely 750's (and others!)  (Read 6020 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Winter storage for our lovely 750's (and others!)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »
Diesel lasts forever.
I have two 20 litre jerrycans of it in my garage from years ago when there was a fuel scare (and I owned a diesel )
It is illegal (?) to store large amounts of petrol indoors and it goes off anyway.
The law says a maximum of 2 gallons in properly designed fuel cans marked with the " petroleum spirit, highly inflammable" warning, and in a garage or shed, NOT in a domestic residence. Although there is no limit to how much can be kept in a vehicle fuel tank???
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 08:15:12 PM »
Has any one tried to ignite diesel fuel and here its about 90 pence a litre?
Tryed it on a incinerater takes ages to ignite petrol on the other hand ran up the flow melted the plastic container in seconds
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 08:18:38 PM »
When I worked for a bus company in Sussex some years back, the cleaners/fitters used to fill a metal bucket with diesel and throw lighted cigarette ends into it to see the faces full of horror on the new/trainee drivers:))
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
Ha tried to light the fire once with brake cleaner as the timber was wet.
Six foot fire ball in the living room for a split second the timber was still wet when it flamed out. ::)

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Whaleman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 08:55:48 PM »
I really like fogging oil. I fog oil the cylinders, inside each muffler (4 into 2 no fiberglass) and a small squirt into each float bowl after draining. It is cheap and easy to use. Also a quick squirt of wd40 into the iginition switch. I try to turn the engine over a half turn or so every 3 weeks. Just so rings are in a different spot. I think a good fogging of the cylinders does two things. One it stops rust and two I believe it soaks into any carbon around the rings in the grooves and the top of the piston. Softens it up to burn off when started. Dan

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 09:38:10 PM »
I bring my 400/4 in to the conservatory for the winter, warm and cosy and handy to tinker with. Tank off, bowls drained, battery off.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
I bring my 400/4 in to the conservatory for the winter, warm and cosy and handy to tinker with. Tank off, bowls drained, battery off.

You forgot to mention that the rear end is off as well  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 09:48:04 PM »

Oh yes, back end WAS out as well but now back in
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 09:55:36 PM »

Oh yes, back end WAS out as well but now back in

I think nurses have too much time on there hands these days  ;D ;D ;D To play with bikes  ;)

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
A robust response guys and generally with a common theme, - my thanks. I never stop learning and appear to be doing something right!
  I might just pick up on the subject of ACF 50. It's not just an inhibitor but removes light corrosion as well. It is simply superb stuff! I might suggest that it's more effective than WD 40, but heh, any 'inhibiter' is not a bad thing.
I am very fortunate enough to own an old rare 2 seater aeroplane which turns 70 next year. I have spayed ACF 50 in amongst it's two main spars, inside the metal wings and around inside the fuselage over the last 23 years. No corrosion( and alloy can corrode in this country!) and is as good inside as it was 70 years ago. Amazing stuff! A good spot for this stuff are our exhausts.. In and around the seat frame, bike frame area, particularly if there are exposed, slight rusty weld spots.
  Just a thought..  Roll on Spring!!
   Nige. Ps, I'm running a huge event, "Japanese Bikers Day" at Sammy Millers, New Forest, Sunday the 14th June. The VJMC will make a strong presence. 300 jap bikes last year, mostly pre '88. Cash prizes and shields.
Love to meet some of you guys!šŸ˜Š

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »
I'm accidentally overwintering my machine due to apathy, a puncture, and rubbish weather.  As a consequence, the battery has gone flat.  Thanks to your topic I am inspired to get the thing out again, whatever the weather.

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »
I can understand Florence.. This time of year is rubbish for me and many of my biking mates. I'm saving up for a bike I don't really have to worry about getting shite on it! Just get that hose pipe out after it's run!šŸ˜³ sigh...
  Nige.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »
Ps, I'm running a huge event, "Japanese Bikers Day" at Sammy Millers, New Forest, Sunday the 14th June. The VJMC will make a strong presence. 300 jap bikes last year, mostly pre '88. Cash prizes and shields.
Love to meet some of you guys!šŸ˜Š

I'm currently negotiating with Sammy to get the CB750 cutaway engine into his museum. I hadn't mentioned it on here as the thing is still in my barn while they finish their extension. Assuming that it takes them a couple of months to clean it up and present it in a museum format, June could be good for an "official unveiling". Also, it was built by Dave Jupp of VJMC fame...

PM me if you're interested and we could maybe set up a local meet.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Sparrow1

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »
Pm sent Steve..
 Nige.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
I used to coat everything that was likely to rust with WD40 until one very cold and damp morning I dragged the bike out out the garage and after a minute or so the WD turned white, ie emulsified with the moisture in the air, since then I give everything a spray with "wood silk " furniture polish, contains no water or silicates and hasn't emulsified as the WD did, also makes your frame look stunningly shiny!, can't fault it šŸ˜„
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of Iā€™m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal