Author Topic: swing arm grease nipples  (Read 4784 times)

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
  • wheres the breaks on these cb 750's !
    • View Profile
Re: swing arm grease nipples
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:50 PM »
Great - will do it tomorrow. What next? Fit wheels, electrics, fit engine ?
Just to confirm - all powder coated, fitted new tapered bearings and completed steering except nuts, swing arm fitted with new bushes and rear shocks.
Antony

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »
Same here Ken thats my thoughts exactley mate with you on that one  :D
Cheerrs
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
Great - will do it tomorrow. What next? Fit wheels, electrics, fit engine ?
Just to confirm - all powder coated, fitted new tapered bearings and completed steering except nuts, swing arm fitted with new bushes and rear shocks.

I did notice in your picture that you have the forks on. You really want to be fitting the engine in the frame with only the center stand and swinging arm on. When you start bolting parts on the frame starts to get a bit heavy to move and drop over the engine.

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 10:24:32 PM »
Thanks Trigger. I need to finish off what i am doing tomorrow and start cleaning the engine up then.
I have a few questions about that. Do i need to take off the cam cover 1st. The carbs are off already.
How do I protect the powder coat as I know it can be a tight fit.
I have heard you can check the cam chain tensioner while the air box is off somehow. Must be easier while its out of the bike but not sure what to do assuming the story is correct.
Anything else I can do while its out of the bike to make life easier? Its a runner by the way - when I bought it but obviously not run for a few months now and not been inspected or serviced.
All I know is its ran and sounded ok before purchase.
As usual your help would be appreciated lads.
Antony

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 07:08:41 AM »
Don't forget you need to remove your nice posh powder coat where the engine mounts and earth strap are and also where the earth lead bolts on by the coils

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 03:09:39 PM »
I knew about the earth leads but not about the engine mounts - thanks !
Any advice on the other points I mentioned previously please anyone?
Antony

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 05:40:42 PM »
Thanks Trigger. I need to finish off what i am doing tomorrow and start cleaning the engine up then.
I have a few questions about that. Do i need to take off the cam cover 1st. The carbs are off already.
How do I protect the powder coat as I know it can be a tight fit.
I have heard you can check the cam chain tensioner while the air box is off somehow. Must be easier while its out of the bike but not sure what to do assuming the story is correct.
Anything else I can do while its out of the bike to make life easier? Its a runner by the way - when I bought it but obviously not run for a few months now and not been inspected or serviced.
All I know is its ran and sounded ok before purchase.
As usual your help would be appreciated lads.

If you have any pipe insulation in the garage. Use that to protect the frame.
Not sure how you removed the engine but, the best way is lay the engine on something soft on its right side ( i use a thick sheet of polystyrene) . That is without the points cover or the points in place as they will get damage. Then with two people, lower the frame over the engine, line it up and put the mounting bolts in. One person at the front and the other at the rear, stand the bike up. At this point i put it on its center stand and have axle under the front of the frame to balance it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal