Author Topic: David Silver, Honda museum article  (Read 13209 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: David Silver, Honda museum article
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 02:03:33 AM »
Hmm take your point Simon but when you look at some of the prices from German outfits selling new parts there is often a large discrepancy. It's like everything I suppose you just shop around. I do think when you are spending a grand or so you should get free or heavily discounted delivery but he ho he seemed a nice bloke when I met him at Stafford and even if we have to pay , where else are you going to see a collection of Honda's like he's getting together outside of Japan in his museum. All of the four bikes I am restoring/ have restored he has an example of (his is a sandcast 750 though  :( ).. don't think he has a CD175 sloper however ...Frank beat him to that one.  :D

Ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:05:18 AM »
I've not got your massive experience in sourcing parts Ash, but realise David is more than a parts stocker / on-seller - ie he has the overheads of travelling to source parts, organising production runs, his museum.....etc... and these have to be factored in.

But as you say... if you object / don't like it then we're free to go elsewhere!

S
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:42:33 AM by Lobo »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »
When he was importing complete bikes i went and collected, shall we say a few, 550's in various states and got an incredible deal on some rare 500 parts whilst talking to the man himself.

Having brouht stuff in from the US myself and seen the import/shipping/tax costs I am still happy to deal with Dave, especially as he seems to stand behind all his parts extremely well

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »
Ha Ha  .. Coincidentally look at this and see what he has to put up with to get us those NOS parts :D

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.937679606243232.1073741973.288952231115976&type=1
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
Bloody scary... it seems one wrong move & someone might have been unecessarily 'wasted'!

Online JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »
That made me giggle. Wonder if he had a spare pair of y-fronts with him. I know I'd have needed them...

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 09:53:38 AM »
To be honest, on his position I'd sue the arse off them for wrongful arrest and police brutality! Then I'd close the american operation down, leaving the staff out of work, and get the hell out of that country full of lunatics>:D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »
To be honest, on his position I'd sue the arse off them for wrongful arrest and police brutality! Then I'd close the american operation down, leaving the staff out of work, and get the hell out of that country full of lunatics>

Yea and then  transfer all of the USA NOS parts to the UK for us to buy  ;D

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
The US Police shoot first and don't take any chances......as you do when so many people (villains in particular) also carry weapons.

A few years ago I stayed with my Brother in Marin County....just off the southern end of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and when I asked him about crime in the area....he explained that since Number Plate recognition cameras were installed on the bridge, and because most cars which were not local (and from Oakland in particular - apparently a high crime area) were invariably stopped soon after crossing the bridge, the crime levels had dramatically fallen.

At least DS was able to tell the tale, and anyone visiting the US having read this article will be better prepared should they ever be stopped by the Police i.e. do exactly as you are told and don't make any sudden movements!

With regards to how DS conducts his business......we all want to get the best price for our efforts.....and if you don't like it you don't have to buy from him........yes I know there may not be much alternative choice (if any) but DS is only doing what many Owners Clubs have done.......commissioning the re-manufacture of scarce parts which have a ready or growing market and after the up front costs have been recovered, can make a profit.......albeit perhaps two or three years down the line.

The Vincent Owners Club have commissioned most parts to build complete (new) bikes and most Norton, BSA and Triumph replacement parts are available at reasonable prices keeping many classic bikes on the road 50 or 60 years later.

Ian from MOTAD suggested that the tooling to manufacture a run of exhaust pipes for CB's would cost around £25K......which illustrates the significant investment needed to get things off the ground.

Rather than being negative about such matters would members of this Forum consider joining forces with VJMC and/or HOC (and others) to review what vital parts might be economic to produce, and then working with Ian/DS/Saisai to re-manufacture them?
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 12:09:22 PM »
Dave silvers is a business man, and a very shrewd one at that, you cant knock him for making money, sadly the fact is he does not reward loyalty nor does he do any sort of discount, i could live for a year on the amount of money i have spent with him, but then that was my choice , i do now prefer to use the german sites for stuff as they discount their stuff if you ask, and also because of the Euro alot of the stuff is cheaper from there
However there are some parts which silvers sells that other people just cant beat price wise, just seems anything with a demand he whacks up the price, i still use silvers and always will,but usually when i cant get a better deal anywhere else, its no skin of his nose as he has such a fan/customer base that a handful of little guys with little orders really dont affect him atal, the guy is now a living legend and can do what he likes

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
Ha Ha  .. Coincidentally look at this and see what he has to put up with to get us those NOS parts :D

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.937679606243232.1073741973.288952231115976&type=1

Those photo's look like a publicity stunt. Who is taking the photo's ??? ;)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 05:08:12 PM »
It does say there staged photos Trig

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
It does say there staged photos Trig

Mick

I never believe everything i read, so did not read it ;D

Offline Eyeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
Interesting meander away from the initial topic, excellent work!
FWIW, I'm in retail myself, at least, a portion of my business is, and the whole regular customer discount thing is a bit of a strange one to me.
I've never met DS but have used his services many times over the years. He runs an excellent setup, with most of what a classic Homda might need to get fixed in stock, just one call away. The goods usually arrive within 48h and often even less. So, having invested all that time and energy into establishing a business that stocks stuff you can't easily and quickly get elsewhere, why the heck should he offer any discounts?
Some of my clients ask for a deal, as if they're bestowing their largesse on the hapless tradesperson as a favour. And we should tug our forelocks in hopeless gratitude. I know why they come to me, I'm the best, that's why and for no other reason. If they ask, they NEVER get one!  If I'm feeling devilish, I might show them a kindness, but I do so because I like them and appreciate their business, not because they just spend money with us anyway.
As always, if you don't like the terms, then shop elsewhere, 'twas ever this, surely?

Not meant as a criticism of people I've never met, merely an observation, lease don't take offence.
Cheers
ATG
Paul
Follow my witter on Twitter!
 @classicrider

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 06:36:40 PM »
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing. My dad ran a small pottery with manufacture and retail in 1 building, a friend runs a shop and cafe down the road from us. The overheads, particularly rates are outrageous even for a small building. Add wages and taxes and energy bills to that and you can see why companies based here might be at a disadvantage compared to somewhere where the  fixed overheads are perhaps not so extreme. - our friend with the cafe has to find £15k a year for the rates before even thinking of paying the 10 or so workers and only at the end does she get to think about a wage for herself. Being the boss can be tough.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal