Author Topic: Bearing not budging  (Read 1909 times)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Bearing not budging
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »
After finally getting the retainer off (courtesy of a home made tool from a mate) Ive tried to get the rear wheel bearings out for over 2 hours with no success. 
Tried heating the hub to get it to expand a bit, tried pushing it out with an expanding anchor bolt, tried cutting a groove in the inner race to relieve some tension, all with no effect.  Anyone got some tips? 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Bearing not budging
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:53:06 PM »
Is the axle collar moving from side to side ?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:49:56 PM »
The axle collar is the shaft that is between the 2 bearings inside the hub.If its free push one end over and get a blunt instrument slide it down onto the edge of the bearing and wack it then move round and hit it again finally pops out well normally for me
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
The axle collar is the shaft that is between the 2 bearings inside the hub.If its free push one end over and get a blunt instrument slide it down onto the edge of the bearing and wack it then move round and hit it again finally pops out well normally for me
Cheers
Bitsa
If I hit the collar with a punch I can push it over, but even then the bearing won't budge.  I've mushroomed the end of my drift!

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
Is the axle collar moving from side to side ?
Can push it over with a drift.  Front hub moved fine, had the bearings out in 5 minutes... not so much with the rear.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
Try the other end but use something solid like a socket set T bar never fails for me then go back to the other side and find something thats more or less the same size like a socket and hit it
Best of luck
Bitsa
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:00:30 PM by Bitsa »
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:08:22 PM »
More heat needed. You need to get the bearing red. Not sure what you are using for heat ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:21:03 PM by Trigger »

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »
More heat needed. You need to get the bearing red. Not sure what you are using for heat ?
A cheap parasene blowtorch.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
A cheap parasene blowtorch.

That is not going to get enough heat. Pop it in the oven at 220c for a hour and make sure all the windows are open and your smoke alarms are of. If it doesn't budge after that, you will need a stronger blow gun.

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »
Trig
Master chef as well you never fail to amaze me ;).Whats the settings for sausages mate?
I have never done any of that must be lucky.The only thing I have done is to un sieze a brake piston a tip from a Canadian I might add is put the whole thing in boiling water for 10 Min's then air blast it and have to say popped straight out and its on my second bike works well
Cheers
Bitsa

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal