Author Topic: What do I check?  (Read 15413 times)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: What do I check?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:09 AM »
Just looked at a replacement DID cam chain, and they're split link.  If that's the case, can't I cut the one that's on there and use it to pull the new one through, avoiding the need to pull the crank?
I have done that thousands of miles ago.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
No horseshoe on a 500/550.

If the head gasket is still sound I'd leave it alone, the tensioner can be removed by removing the skull cap/rocker train cap and removing the cam, the tensioner is held by a 6mm bolt at the back of the head, remove that and undo the 6mm nut from the adjuster screw and you should be able to push it forward and lift it out.

As Bryan says, the pistons won't come out of the bottom of the casing but you can split the rods off the crank to allow not only the primary but the camchain to be threaded off the crank. All you need to do is remove the primary shaft in order for the 2 casing halves to be split, assuming of course you've removed all the bolts/casings. The primary shaft can be removed by screwing the step bar bolt (lower engine hanger bolt) into the end of the shaft and using one of the footrests as a sort of sliding hammer. There is a thread somewhere showing pics of how to spot if the primary chain is buggered, look for it. Keep track of where everything came from, especially the conrods caps, they must go back onto the same rod they came off.

Sounds hard but actually a bit of common sense and it's fairly easy.
Ok, I actually think I can visualise all the parts you mentioned - sounds doable.  Will have a search round for how to tell if the cam chain and primary chain are worn and have a go this weekend.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2015, 02:00:59 PM »
While I would post crackpot ideas to get the crank out that just won't work  ::) I am firmly in the pull it apart completely camp. There is nothing like knowing all there is to know about your engine. Simple beasts to dismantle.

But of course up to you...  :P
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
Ok, so this whole discussion started with replacing the tensioner which I'm 100% sure is needed, and I can understand that you may want to replace the cam chain and primary if you're going to split the case, but is there a way of telling if it is actually necessary to replace these parts before I go in ratchets and wrenches blazing?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 05:19:38 PM »
Just a note of caution on doing just the tensiner with head and barrels in situ, it is possible to have the tensioner not seated properly doing it this way. Don't ask how I know this,  :-[ but the result is a mangled tensiner. There is a sockett its bottom locates into. Personally I am in the rip it apprart camp , I have done just the tensioner in  situ but the engine in my case soon failed again even after getting the tensioner in right, mine was a 500/4 mill, usa inport, supposedly very low milage and for some reason repeatedly had tensioner issues, I have done a fair number of 500 and 550 rebuilds to fix leaky head gasketts or revive hopeless engines to get their last few years commuting in and never had the issue before but it has coulored my oppinion of trying to keyhole fix awkward jobs like that. Too easy to get wrong if you don't do a lot of engines, the book is aimed at a strip down so it can be easier to do as the book does than risk missing a step as you try to skip though to relevant bits. Sounds like you will need most of a gaskett set, by that stage, a full gaskett set isnt much  more cash then just the gaskets you disturb and it isn't much more work. I did my first 550 motor in a long day, rode it home from work Friday morning and a week of touring Scotland setting out on the Sunday morning, with a nice set of used barrels installed when I found the installed pistons were missing their rings which had exited through the exhaust valves leaving quite a mess. Hence the several more rebuilds. I prefer to know what everything inside is like even if I know I am running a ruined head on it's last legs, at least I can be looking for bits for a rebuild and riding the bike at the same time.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 11:19:07 PM »
Location of the tensioner in it's seating is aided by removal of the sump.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 06:10:47 PM »
Well, I'm into the top end.  Anything look particularly out of place?

In the pic above, I was trying to show that the tiny gear on the cam adjuster bolt constantly slips out of the teeth in the adjuster body and jams up.  Hoping my other one is good and I can just do a swap.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
Nice new engine studs.

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Having never looked into a cylinder before, this may be a stupid question,  but is the level of carbon on the pistons normal / ok?

Also, what is the best way to clean the gasket surface?  Do you apply a gasket paste/goo or just straight on?

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »
Nice new engine studs.
Hope it's new from factory and now just new.  If I've gone this far, should I pull the barrels and replace that base gasket as well. Or is it pretty likely to seal up without doing that?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »
If it were me yes pull the cylinders you  have gone this far shame not to finish the job.
Clean ring grooves,fit new rings blow out all the oilways new gaskets and that way you know its all good again.Carbon build up looks fairly normal from what I can see but your pics are so big  for the snail net over here.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
If it were me yes pull the cylinders you  have gone this far shame not to finish the job.
Clean ring grooves,fit new rings blow out all the oilways new gaskets and that way you know its all good again.Carbon build up looks fairly normal from what I can see but your pics are so big  for the snail net over here.
Cheers
Bitsa

Bitsa, you forgot to mention to cross hatch the bores ;)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 08:32:39 PM »
Cheers
Bitsa
Oh how I wish for the endless wallet....

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Cheers
Bitsa
Oh how I wish for the endless wallet....

I may be down your way next week (Slough) so may pop in to see if it is finished ;)

Offline JustcallmeMrT

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »
Also, outside of the head - never noticed this groove before in the other 2 engines I've got - concerning?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal