Author Topic: Gasket sets????  (Read 890 times)

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
Gasket sets????
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:03 PM »
Hi all.
I have looked through the search option but I am still somewhat confused.
I need a full gasket set for the K1 that I am building. I have gathered after a lot of looking that any ideas of getting genuine ones are way out so what is the best set to get and where from?
Am I right in thinking that all the models had different head gaskets, i.e. I need to get one specifically for the K1?
Also, could a copper head gasket be an option? I have read that they need ultra smooth mating surfaces and special sealant to work properly.

Oh, another question while I'm here. I did a leak down test on it after I took the engine out and although it was only just in the green on each cylinder the air was leaking past each exhaust valve quite a bit. I was planning on a decoke anyway and to re-lap the valve seats, but could this have been because it was a cold engine, I believe this test should be done when the engine is warm?

Any advice gratefully accepted. (and needed  ::):)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:58:46 PM by dieffe »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Gasket sets????
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »
Needs to be tested at running temp.
Honda gaskets are very hard to find these days. I use Vesrah and NP.

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:00:19 AM »
Needs to be tested at running temp.
That's what I thought. I will test it again when I get it running.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:14:58 AM »
Valves should seal at any temp so a hiss on a leakdown test means you need to regrind the valves but almost certanly only with fine grinding paste

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:41:59 PM »
Going back to head gaskets, I have been thinking of making copper head gaskets, can these be used successfully or are there problems involved with them?

I am more curious then anything as I am making stainless steel parts and ignition advancers at the moment and making copper head gaskets was an idea to broaden my horizons as it were.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal