Author Topic: Crank Half Shell Bearing Size  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Crank Half Shell Bearing Size
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »
Hello!

I need a little help selecting and getting crankcase half shell bearings:

From the pictures attached - I think I need 2 blacks, 6 greens and 2 browns.

The problem I have is sourcing black bearings and DSS has both the Brown and greens. Are the browns a close enough match to use instead of blacks if i'm lucky or should I halt my rebuild until blacks eventually turn up?

Thanks in advance, Ryan.

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Crank Half Shell Bearing Size
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:01:53 PM »
Well bugger me, Ok I see, I was looking (and confused) by one of the tables in that PDF cb350/400f shop manual floating around and checked it in the haynes manual and you're right oddjob, Thanks for that. probably should have checked the haynes manual first.

Ok so is it wise to use browns or greens in place of blacks or yellows? or should I leave it until I can find either of the two which isn't ideal really as I don't have an infinite amount of time to store the bike where it is

Thanks, Ryan

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
If you want accuracy,  best use plastigage
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:13:51 PM »
Ok, Really Appreciate the help and information. Thanks for the replies.

The manual shows the shells to have a tolerance range. so I think I'll get some plasti-gauge and see what measurements I get and go from there.

Thanks, Ryan.

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »
Hey Oddjob,

Just flicking through the manual again and I was hoping you could shed a little light on the extract highlighted from the manual attached below? Little confused by that.

Thanks, Ryan.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:36:27 PM by Binman180 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:36:59 AM »
The stamped codes on the shells  are production codes only and the coloured marks fade in a hot engine to a browny colour ( well they did on engines I have stripped). Anyway the crank markings  codes are only for an unworn crank so you need to select the correct colour codes from the charts cross referenced with the crankcase stampings and the crank markings, then Plastigage the bearing clearances after bolting everything together temporarily. Bryan or Graham etc. may be able to tell you just to use a certain colour code and run in carefully I don't know... they have built lots of engines between them. Bryan tells me you can't mike up the crank you need air gauging but on my 1st 400/4 I had the crank miked up and used the measurements  to select the shells and the clearances were spot on, when I used Plastigage. Needs a pretty good measuring man though and you need to check for ovality in the journals and measure very accurately.

We did have air gauges where I work part time but someone chucked the whole system in the skip, not knowing what the kit was used for   :(

Hope this helps ... Ash
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:40:05 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
I have never seen anywhere codes that relate to the stampings on the back of the shells.

We were told way back when that Hondas were built with the clearances expected after running in and i have built several engines using all tightest tolerance shells and told the owners to "Run It In Carefully" for a couple of thousand with multiple oil /filter changes without ever having one back. When you consider that the spec to 0.01 of a mill which is less than half a thou you have to be damned good and consistent with the mic

Offline Binman180

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 10:26:40 PM »
Well ok, Thanks for clearing it up guys. Really helped me out.

Thanks, Ryan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal