Author Topic: K1 speedo  (Read 2383 times)

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
K1 speedo
« on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »
Me again, I knew I would have a shed load of questions.
When I took the clocks off the K1 I noticed that the speedo had something rattling around inside. I thought it might be a loose bulb but when I stripped it , I am changing the face, I found two bracket looking parts floating around and I cannot figure out where they came from, I am guessing some form of light shield or reflector even.

They are on the right in the picture.

Has anyone any ideas?

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: K1 speedo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
I'm sure they were tacked on the back plate either side of the odo I assume there to stop the face distorting

Mick 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »
Thanks Mick, but they are about 5mm too short for that and there's no sign of any tack weld or glue or anything.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
If you look at the clock back plate you will see the other bit to the bulb shades. It will have 2 rivets with a cross pattern on them. These snap due to vibration on the fold.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:30:41 PM by Trigger »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
Remember seeing something like that on later clocks they were in front off the bulbs I thought they were for reflecting the bulbs to light up the whole gauage maybe wrong dunno.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »
Remember seeing something like that on later clocks they were in front off the bulbs I thought they were for reflecting the bulbs to light up the whole gauage maybe wrong dunno.
Cheers
Bitsa

They are to stop the heat from the bulb and because they are zinc plated they work as a reflective plate mate.

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:21:49 PM »
Thanks you lot, that's brilliant. Heat protectors that have broken off from here.

I imagine that they should be like this?

All I need to do now is fix them back in. That will be fun.  ::)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »
The attached is a shi**y shot of a K0 speedo. Same bracket.
I do have a micro spot welder  but you would have to drill out the rivets and send it to me if you want it micro welding. Have some small nuts and bolts in stainless/s to reattach it

Its one of these ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-V-800-A-0-1-1-0-Mm-new-Micro-computer-1PC-Pulse-Spot-Welder-Battery-Charger-/111573502963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fa4c8bf3

Ash

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline dieffe

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 12:15:16 AM »
I do have a micro spot welder  but you would have to drill out the rivets and send it to me if you want it micro welding. Have some small nuts and bolts in stainless/s to reattach it
Ash
Thanks Ash, that is good of you.
I am going to have a bash at making some new ones and fitting them but if that goes tits up I will give you a shout.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:22:58 AM »
Ash
Thanks Ash, that is good of you.
I am going to have a bash at making some new ones and fitting them but if that goes tits up I will give you a shout.

Very easy to make new ones out of alloy plate that is a lot stronger and will not snap with the vibration.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:43:19 AM »
Or Stainless that can be polished to make a better reflector.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal