Author Topic: Hello, I have a 400 at last  (Read 11267 times)

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I have a 400 at last
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »
Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me? Getting back to the running of this bike, I ordered the "universal" coils for DS, it looks like the wiring is simple but mounting them will require modification which I did not expect, the brackets are shorter. Does anyone have experience with these and any tips on fitting them? Looking further at the carbs I can see that the the rubber from the air box part is not seated properly, so further investigation required. I don't think this bike has ran for about 20 years so I am not sure what to expect. I will try new coils, caps, plugs points and condesors and see where it goes from there. Any further tips or advice appreciated.

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
The connection between the airbox and the "manifold" is an oval metal tube. At the manifold a large clip secures it. At the airbox it is fitted inside a large grommet that must be popped into the airbox orifice. Part 10 here:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400f-england_model14639/partslist/F01-3.html#results

Here's how I get the bottom part in:
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4880.msg22764.html#msg22764
Some silicon grease to make it all a bit easier.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 12:01:15 PM »
Thanks Tom, that is really helpful, I will be tacking this soon, that looks like a good tip for getting it done. Lobo, the connector is on OK, but not the clip, I did find the clip in my boxes so it will go on. I made some "L" brackets to fit the universal coils to the original fittings on the bike, actually looks quite good  :) will post a pic of this if it is helpful to anyone fitting these.
Thanks again everyone, will keep you posted on how it goes.

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2015, 09:52:05 PM »
Bike is running! But this is with good and bad news. The good is that the engine is reving freely with no rattles or rumles and the exhaust seems clear and healthy. Not so good is it is sounding rough on tiockover, though I think this is just the carbs being out of balance, a bigger problem is that there is an oil leak from the sump, on closer inspection I found one of the studs are stripped. looking at it I think it would be possible to remove the sump and helicoil a new thread without removing the engine, maybe one of you experienced guys could confirm this for me? If the engine needs to come out then thats OK, will just factor in the time for it.

Have to say that despite this I am so happy to hear it running and really looking forward to getting it on the road! 

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
It can be done by laying the bike on it's side.  Remove tank first obviously.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2015, 01:33:19 AM »
Hi Johndoc,

Great to have another 400F on the mend...

Sorry, rather late in the day, but I ordered those DSS coils & don't remember too much of an issue at all... did you check the boxes for additional mounting hardware... I'm sure I remember some.

The rattle at idle... does indeed seem to be a 400F thing, and a certain amount seems generally accepted as 'normal'. There are a few areas though to look at; I should bloody know having had my engine professionally rebuilt... and returned with said rattle. Grrrr....

Carb balancing the first stop, as you say.
Cam chain... worn or out of adjustment. (Mine was renewed... still rattled)
Primary drive chain worn / stretched (mine was checked against a new one & returned as ok)
Primary drive rubber dampers (cushs) - 8 of 'em, part #23114-323-000 (not replaced on my bike - regret! But I do now have new ones just waiting for the next strip down!)
Clutch.... my main culprit. Renewed springs, plates... better, replaced cushs (meant to be a non-serviceable item in this respect)..... far, far better. In my case, this was the culprit.

So, good luck, a lot to check, but do consider all of the above.

..... & if you've got the patience of Jobe read this thread..

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4353.msg18997.html#msg18997

Simon.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:36:32 AM by Lobo »

Offline Johndoc

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »
Lobo, yes laying the bike down did cross my mind, that's how I will do it! Mike, great tips on what to look for on rough idle, will be doing the carbs in the next day or so, just hoping that does it. To be honest I am not that bothered if it needs more work, the bike is good enough to warrant that, if it runs well just now I will run it and may strip it in the winter to check things thoroughly. There was nothing I noticed to fit the coils but it was easy enough to make a couple of brackets. Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal