Author Topic: CB650 comstar interchangeability  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Nanospasm

• View Profile
CB650 comstar interchangeability
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:17:44 PM »
Hi all, my intention is to do a spoke conversion on my comstar wheels. I have purchased a 16"stainless steel rim for the rear now I need a donor wheel to chop the hub from. I have been looking on the bay of e and there are a few on there but wondered if say a cm400 or cb250 rear wheel would also fit. Remember I only need the actual hub so rim size is inconsequential. Cheers and thanks for taking the time :)

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Re: CB650 comstar interchangeability
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
Hi,
    I have done this exercise on my motor, the critical bits are axle size, distance pieces and sprocket alignment, therefore it is easiest to use a "hub" salvaged from the correct comstar for your bike, they look nice when finished-good luck
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »
In the past I have put a cb650 comstar into a cb550, and cb500, a really easy swap, slots streight in so the reverse should be true I would think. Cb500 or 550 hubs crack their brake linings moderately easily, it is a moderately easy fix if you have a lathe or there is a guy out there who does this proffessionally. Get the matching brake plate off the same bike if possible, there are different patterns out there, wrong one will result in the wheel not turning once the rear axle is tightened, or having to file metal off the thing or having to juggle a washer into the gap betwixt the hub and back plate.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:46:27 PM »
Cafe Racer Kits do a comstar to spoke wheel conversion kit.
Bit pricey, but probably the easiest way to do it.  :)
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »

Not wishing to highjack anyone's post, but, excellant steer to 'Cafe Racer Kits', thank you.

Has anyone on here used them for modifying Comstars ?

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 07:33:18 PM »
here is a pair of comstar hubs fitted with "Café Racer bits" stoved ready for spokes and rims

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 07:47:24 PM »
I remember when the F2 was current a firm made adaptors as new comstars were expensive. Worked OK but looked krap

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »
So those converters are basically 2 discs bolted to the hub centres where the Comstar 'spokes' bolt...giving pierced flanges for the spokes? Interesting...but not for my F2. I like the Comstars I have, but it is interesting to see what can be done. I had no idea these kits existed
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Maxcaddy (Nighthawk)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 11:25:48 PM »

Neither did I  :D

But are all Comstars (Hubs) the same ?, i.e. Is a 19" Reverse Comstar the same as an 18", is a single disc (Hub) the same as a dual disc, and is a 'normal' axle hub the same as a leading axle hub ?.

I had a CB650Z (old type Comstars), and have a CB650SCC and I'm fairly certain the spindles were different.

Any Comstar experts available ?  :)

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
just remember while mulling things over, "cafe racer kit" were originally for cx500's and later on I seem to remember superdreams were added to their lists, my use of the adapter "discs" was to obtain a 18in front wheel with twin discs, the easiest way I could, starting with a 400N front end

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
Interesting, I have a few sets of cb650 comstars, my first 550 has a set 'fitted' when I bought it, I always thought they looked fairly smart on that bike. A spoke conversion for them is certainly that bit different and might well help several difficulties with building a special using mixed bits. Finding soaked cb500 or 550 wheels can be a bit of a chore and add up to a fair cost these days.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »

For a long time now I've had it in mind to convert to different rims to have Radial Rubber. I got as far as getting hold of a spoked rear hub off of a CB650C which had its original 17" tyre on, and have been looking for a suitable front with twin discs, and had the idea of maybe an early CB750 one.

Unfortunately without buying a wad of wheels to see what did/did not fit, I've been on-hold. To be honest probably the main reason the CB has been consigned to the back of the shed is that its standard 16" back wheel/tyre is (IMHO) lethal. Consequently to have a matching pair of spoked wheels wearing modern rubber is exactly what I'm after, and whilst I could have at any time re-rimmed the rear hub, it now seems I can have a front made up which will fit straight in.

Hence my question as to whether or not all reversed comstar fronts had the same hub, as at this stage I don't want to buy an old wheel have Cafe Racer Kits convert it and re-rim/spoke, to find it then won't align up with the discs etc.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 10:52:03 AM »
If you check bearing numbers it will tell you if spindle diameter is same and to the best of my knowledge all honda wheels that we are talking about have the rims central to the hub

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 10:27:21 PM »

Ta for that, but It would mean that I would need the other wheel first, before I could confirm bearings.

The criteria which could vary is the width between the disc mountings. The 650SCC has very deep dished discs compared to the 650Z, and the forks are set wider apart. I can certainly remember that the Telefix (?) brace which I bought for it, said it only fitted the 650SCC and the CB1100R. Hence my concern that there are similar looking, but different hubs out there.

I guess the only easy answer is to get a wheel that's guaranteed to have come off a SCC, that way it'll be right even if I have to pay a premium to get one.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »
Look up the parts lists on cmsnl and that will give you bearing numbers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal