Author Topic: Another gauge freshened up - thanks to Kent400  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Another gauge freshened up - thanks to Kent400
« on: April 21, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »
Just completed a 'new' CB400 speedo today (eBay / £20); my 5th resto (2x 750 + 2 x CB400F) ... getting better all the time. Just want to publicly say a big thanks to Kent400 (Peter) & his generosity / invaluable tips. (Yup, the mileage has been changed... to fit the bike)

Simon
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:22:47 PM by Lobo »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Another gauge freshened up - thanks to Kent400
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
Now thats a good job done
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
I am trying to work out from the picture how you are crimping the bezel ring back in to position. Any tips please?

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:04:37 PM »
Looks good Simon with the re-plated base. You certainly needed that! Looks like you used the bench drill method to fold the band back.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 01:05:25 AM »
Thanks Bitsa, Peter.

Yup Chris400, as Peter says, I used his bench drill press method. You have to 'start' the crimp ring fold over by a few degrees - I used a screw-drivel blade every few mms around the circumference - and thence just used a bench drill with a suitably sized punch to fully complete the job.

A nice block of wood with a suitably sized hole might have been more elegant than the straight edged block you see.... but doh, I'd already fitted the trip reset spindle & knob.....

You live & learn....

(oh, & another tip - wrap the gauge in masking tape as you do this)

Simon

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »
Lobo. That is absolutely superb. That is something I really dread doing. You should start a business with me as first customer. :)
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »
Thanks Simon, that is really helpful.
My tacho is currently in bits after cleaning. I was going to reassemble it today but have found the paint on the
case needs a bit more work so will do it shortly and try this technique when I do.
I didn't replace the face - the red line isn't too faded and I couldn't find a good source of replacements.
Yours looks like a new speedo face, can you recommend a supplier for future reference?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »
Cheers Roy / Chris,

But honestly, Kent400 is your man, (sorry Peter!) - I can't take any of the credit.

For a very reasonable cost, Peter supplied me the new faces , the lenses, advice + other bits'n'bobs....

Chris, whilst all apart go the whole hog & freshen up the whole caboodle... otherwise you'll just have regrets.

Roy, don't be daunted, the hard part is de-crimping the ring; beyond this it's basically taking loads of snaps as you disassemble, + thence cleaning / painting etc.

(the crimp ring disassembly is a large diameter jubilee clip abouts the crimp ring to protect its shape, and then levering (carefully) up the lip all around the instrument. Take it slow & steady...)

And then there's the forum... if Peter's away there'll be plenty of others with help / tips.

So, as a starter for 10.... PM 'Kent400' on this forum.

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:01:45 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 01:00:46 AM »
Hi Oddjob,

In my limited experience I'd think there is no reason why you can't open up your  'poorly' rev counter and take a peek inside. Indeed, you may be able to bash out the casing ding, fill, respray etc,  and due no trip reset reassemble with the damaged area lowermost / out of sight.

My previous 2 lower casings (CB400) I just cleaned, sprayed & laquered to good (enough) effect (see below) ... but in comparison to the new one... well, there isn't...

The CB750 lower casings are housed in that big rubber mounting and so you can get away with more.

Peter.... who is now probably very much regretting this thread (!) supplied me at a VERY reasonable cost, and on part exchange basis where possible:

New faces
New glasses
New trip white digits sticky overlay (the wheels fade to cream & cannot be cleaned)
New re-plated lower case
New casing grommet for the trip spindle
A 'how to guide'

So really, as I've said all along, "I really didn't do much" ....

Simon
(hmmm... there seems to be a spring & wee cog left over from the 750 Speedo resto... don't remember that... except it all works fine! (perhaps part of the trip mechanism, & awaiting placement)

(What would be nice - Peter, you reading this!- would be new crimp bands. If scratched / minorly damaged there's no way round it to my knowledge, although the CB750 Lecram resto guru can supply these for that bike.

For those guys wanting to restore CB750 gauges try here...
http://www.cb750faces.com/cb750faces.nl/en/?no_mobile_theme

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:23:13 AM by Lobo »

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:18 PM »
Has anyone tried a new crimp ring for the 750?.Found them almost impossible to start a bend on the under side.Originals easy.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
Lobo mentioned the gauge bands that secure the bodies to the bases, I was aware that Lecam has them and although I bought faces from him I've always re-used the originals. Bands for the smaller 400f type gauges are not available anywhere as far as I'm aware, I've made some tooling to re-shape damaged ones, obviously success  depends on how bad they are. Usually the damage is caused by poor removal and replacement. Marks where pliers have been used to to fold the band back look terrible, sometimes it's possible to flat the marks out and polish them.

I have plans to make a press tool to make the smaller bands, the necessary materials are to hand it's just finding the time to get to the task.

Gauges are a focal point on any bike and a poor restoration job on them sticks out like a sore thumb! My adivice is only attempt to restore gauges if you are confident in your abilities, loose a small part in the process or damage something and you are stuffed! Finding a replacement gauge can be a challange and the cost can be high for one that may well be no better than the original.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal