Author Topic: registration  (Read 1422 times)

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
registration
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:39:26 PM »
My log book has been issued for my first restored bike and its come back with the letter M for a 1974, however the letter is at the start of the registration indicating its a 1994, although the log book indicates a 1974. Is that normal I only noticed after I got a plate made up and it sat next to my other bike a p reg 1997

The taxation class is listed as historical vehicle and although I sent a cheque for the tax nothing came back indicating it has been paid but if it's historical does that mean that its tax free and perhaps they have not got back to me yet with my cheque.

Might be an expert at this by the end of this I hope.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: registration
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »
Sounds like the dvla have made a mistake - I'd give the helpline a call to discuss...

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
gee whizz that's all I need but I'm out on it tomorrow so stuff it.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:46:24 PM »
Yeah I'd go for it and take it up with them next week. Their mistake not yours and at least it's legally registered under that reg. number.

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 09:54:37 PM »
The DVLA are horrendous for stupid mistakes......for people who are employed to register vehicles, they seem to know precious little about vehicles.  I recently registered a GL1000 from the USA.....and applied for six months road tax....the V5C came back showing it as a Honda Concerto....complete with a 12 month tax disc (which I had to return).

I asked them to amend the V5C as a Concerto is a car....they refused unless I got written proof from Honda.....(computer says No!) ....so that's what I had to do, they are an utter PITA....and yet, if you make a simple mistake they will be only too happy to fine you.

I just registered a Triumph Trident from the USA........that has also come back with an error on the V5C but I just can't be bothered to go through it with them again.  If you ring them up and are lucky enough to speak to someone sensible, make sure you get their name and try to deal with them direct, the person I dealt with by post was a clueless plank, but I have spoken to sensible clued up people there.......it's a lottery.

In your case that's a mistake that definitely needs correcting pronto.......they must waste huge amounts of time and money correcting their own errors and fending off complaints.

Mick........kettle738     

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
Thanks for that folk, job for Monday and another 8 quid for a plate.

My bike is a 1st January 1974 but when I spoke with the planks they said unless I got proof from Honda then they would register it end of jan and I wouldn't get free road tax. I contacted a dealer who contacted Honda japan but it was all on paper and it would take time to source so I went ahead without proof and they registered it 1st jan anyway and I guess my cheque is on the way back to me because its free tax I think.

In fairness the registration had me beat until I saw it next to my other bike and the coin dropped, too much of a rush I guess to get out to play.

Offline david451

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »
Contacted dvla today didn't seem surprised the registration was wrong and from speaking with them didn't really understand what the problem was. Said he would pass it onto the department and it would take about two weeks to issue me with the correct reg but in the meantime I could ride on the number they gave me just destroy the old v5 when the new one comes through he said. Doesn't sound right but I took his name so off I go.

postie delivered another v5 today, thought for a minute they had noticed the mistake and given me the correct one but nope, another v5 with the wrong reg, phew!!!

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »
Unbelievable , i hate to think how i am, going to get on, i have to get my K0 registered on the NOVA database first, then go through the whole UK registration procedure, then i have my sandcast to register as well

Anyway good luck David let us know how it turns out
pete

Offline Graeme77

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
I had to register my 1949 ford anglia. V5 came back as 1941, they didnt start this model untill 1948. I spent ages trying to get them to correct it  and was given a few new v5's but they never did manage to change the year.
Gave up in the end and its new owner now has a car first registered 7 yeats before it could possibly have been made.

Idiots.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal