Author Topic: "Second Chance" Project  (Read 19331 times)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
"Second Chance" Project
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:20:49 PM »
Hi folks, been meaning to do this for a while now, so no better time like the present to get it started.
A brief history.
I have been biking since 1974 at a young sweet 17 years of age and started my first chopper build in1975. I had a dream and vision but no money, I was earning all but £8.00 a week back then so money was very precious to me. While having a beer in the pub with a mate of mine who had rich parents and no hassle to buy new bikes I was telling him what It was I wanted to do, his exact words to me were and I have never forgotten them "You wouldn't have a 'kin clue what to do" Well to tell you the truth I didn't have a clue, just a vision a dream and a lot of drive, and his words only spurred me on to show him how wrong he was going to be. It only took me 5 years to get my finished dream to car shows around the country and also picked up a few trophy's for my efforts. I was a rookie but I learned a lot. Check here for my official intro with pics .. http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,7614.0.html
After selling my chop to emigrate the hankering for another custom has never left my side but life and family got in the way as it does.

Fast forward now to October 2014. Well my life took a change for the worst, I had a heart attack! albeit a mild one but non the less was a wake up call that the years are passing me by and my dream of owning another chop was diminishing. Well I had just sold my camper van that I had owned for 17 years and had a small stash of cash burning a hole in my pocket and whilst browsing ebay I saw a chop that had potential, most of the bits I would need were there along with a few bits that will go in the recycle bin. ;) Well the registration number sold it to me FEC 154T or as I read it FEC**IT, so that was that, and FEC**IT I went and bought it. And so begins my story and build.

I have called the bike "Second Chance" for a few reasons, firstly it's my second chance of owning another chop, secondly it is the second reincarnation of this chop and thirdly and more importantly it is my second chance at living after the ticker timebomb.

So guys 'n gals come and join me on my ride to freedom and fun!  ;D
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: "Second Chance" Project
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
This is where it all started. The first incarnation.

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
I bought it looking like this....

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
It had only done 160 miles from it's so called rebuild before disaster struck. A blocked oil way to the camshaft caused it to have a slight melt down.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:33:31 PM by Mike on a bike »

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 08:30:59 PM »
The previous owner had stripped the engine down to the pistons and had labeled and bagged everything up, well done that man. He also had got a replacement cam from the States so technically everything was there to start the rebuild. This was in November 2014.
My cousin volunteered his help in re-building the bike and is well placed after building quite a few top quality bikes himself, his latest project is a beautiful Harley bobber that really inspired me to move on this project.

I bought the bike in bits and delivered it all to my cousin who said he would get it running before Christmas, so I didn't even get a chance to go through the box of bits to check if everything was there.

Well Christmas came and went, as did January and February and a bit of March. Needless to say I was now getting a bit miffed. Anyway my cousin got the engine shifted to his mate who runs a bike shop and gets him involved in the re-build. I get a message to say that the oil pump is well and truly stuffed and can I get another one. Long story short I get one from a very kind chap in the States who GAVE me TWO pumps for FREE all I needed to pay for was the postage. Thank you very much kind sir!  ;D We take the better looking of the two and check it over and all is OK and it is fitted to the the engine. Eventually the engine is returned to me and we load it into the frame. We left off the cam cover to do a visual inspection of the oilways. We connect up the electrics etc and pour diesel into the engine and turn it over to flush any junk out of it and check that there are no blockages. All seems to be ok. We drain out the diesel as best we can then fill it up with proper flushing oil. Turn it over again and we can see that even though the diesel was getting through the thicker oil was still not getting to the cams. Bummer!  :( One side was OK the other side another story. Oh well we will have to strip it all down again. The guy that rebuilt it came over and helped us strip it all again and play hunt the blockage. Well we were defeated everything seemed to be as clean as a whistle. Then I remembered seeing a link to a video via this forum and remembered seeing the ristrictor jets so asked the engine man if he had cleaned out the jets, he replied with a "What jets"? So I showed him where the jets were and he didn't believe me that they were jets so we poked a pin down the middle of one jet and it went right through, then we done the same to the other jet and it stopped half way down! EUREKA!!! I took the jets out and lo and behold one jet was almost completely blocked. I bet a pound to a pinch of sh1t this was missed by the bloke who first re-built it just as my engine man had and this was now hopefully our problem solved.
My cuz took the head away with him to blow out all the oil ways again just to make sure all was well in the land of tiny holes.
After waiting for two weeks to get the engine man back to re-build the engine my cuz and I decide that we will do it on our own with the help of Youtube man.  :), even though I am no mechanic I had watched the video 3 times and felt confident between the two of us we could do it. And that is just what we did. Now the oil is getting to where it should with no problems.  ;D

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:46:44 PM »
In the meantime the wiring was done by an ejit that had a love for black wire, yep you guessed it everything is black. Flippin 'eck this lot has to go in the bin. :-[ A plan is hatched and I decide to make an electric box based on the old Santee one that I found on Honda choppers forum across the pond. I made a mock up in card and my cuz made me the box in mild steel, which will be chromed as and when all holes and stuff is complete. I think the boy done good here, can't thank him enough.  ;D

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 09:18:11 PM »
I hacked off the rear mudguard stays and replaced it with an off the shelf sissybar and the fugly front fender has gone to recycle heaven in favour of a nice shiny chrome one. The wheelbarrow handlebars have also gone in favour of TT pullbacks and all new chrome handlebar gear, topped off with Maltese Cross mirrors.

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »
So we are all buttoned up and now to fire this baby up. Guess what? Yup won't fire!  :-[
Test all the wiring, the engine is turning over but not firing. Test each plug but only getting a weak spark. After a lot of head scratching, a new set of condensors and points I decide to bite the bullet and ordered a new set of coils.

That is this weekends job now so hopefully will update when I have some good news.  :)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 09:44:21 PM »
Mike, you get the prize for the most words typed in 2 hours!

Seriously - that's a great story.
We look forward to the rest.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »
Well after a lot of head scratching and speaking to a wiring "expert" only to be told we have done everything correctly we were still at a loss what to do, and getting nowhere we decided to just squirt some fuel onto the pistons, buttoned her up and turned the key. It fired almost first time. One cylinder wasn't firing and we eventually traced that to a dodgy "new" plug, so that is in the bin now and an old plug fitted and running like a good-un!
Still needs a small bit of carb fettling but the lump is running with no knocks or rattles.
VERY VERY HAPPY!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Still got to change the flushing oil tomorrow and refill with the good stuff then we can get balancing the carbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ca4DopVG0Y&feature=youtu.be

Online JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »
Well done Mike great result....

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »
Update.....19/7/15
Took the bike to a local company to build me a set of 4 into 4 slash cut drag pipes in stainless steel. They were keen to do it but said I had to book it in and the earliest they could do it was in 2 weeks time. No problem I said and they said they would do the job in the next two weeks. Well that 2 weeks came and went and just got the "We are so busy at the moment we can't find the time to do it" I said I thought the whole idea of booking it in was that they allocated the time to do it! Am I missing something here? Well I waited another 2 weeks and phoned them and got the same excuses. So I gave them another week before ringing again, yep same excuse again so I said to them that I would collect the bike the next Friday whether complete or not. (trying to get them motivated) Well I turn up at 5.00pm as arranged and yep you guessed it nothing had been done. 2 months build time completely wasted, yup I am a wee bit pissed off!
So begins the hassle of finding another pipe builder. A few phone calls and some running around chasing my tail I eventually get hold of someone not to far away. I arrange a visit to show them the bike and show them what I wanted. (them being two brothers who live on a farm) this was Saturday 18th July 2015.
Well after meeting the guys and yacking to them for about 3 hours I think I have found the perfect builders. They showed me the first stainless exhaust system they made and it just happened to be fixed to an immaculate almost stock CB750 KO. Well I couldn't fault it, if that was their first attempt I think I am in good hands. In the same barn I counted 16 bikes of various sizes and brands, three cb750's one being the very first Seeley Honda off the production line, and there were plenty of pictures on the wall for them to prove its provenance. The one brother also said he done spraywork as well, custom and strait paintwork. The 3 examples they showed me blew me away on quality and having myself won trophy's at national  custom car shows for painting my Beeza chop in the 70's I feel I am in a position to judge. I have been informed that there might be a bit of a wait as the work on the farm and a new build house on the go they can only work on my project when it's raining. Well I for once in my life am now praying for 2 weeks of continuous rain! :P :o
So, a bit more waiting to do but I am a patient man and know that all will come to he who waits......eventually  ;) Watch this space!

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 07:33:59 AM »
hi mike. the bikes looking good. the first exhaust builders you mentioned wouldnt be up cardigan way, would it?
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
Haynes66, no they are Swansea based, I should name and shame but don't want to give them any publicity. If you want names PM me  ;)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 09:21:21 PM »
Well it has been a while guys 'n gals but some news breaking on the horizon. I have at long last got my bike back complete with new stainless exhausts, it took all this time but was worth it. I can kick start the build now.  :D The marks on the pipes are rain drops, as I had just off loaded it from my van. I wanted the pipes to crossover but the guy who done it couldn't get the bends to go far enough with his bender.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal