Author Topic: Motogadget M-Unit Blue or Axel Joost B-Box  (Read 3439 times)

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Motogadget M-Unit Blue or Axel Joost B-Box
« on: April 30, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »
Hi all,

It seems like forever that I've been meaning to pull the trigger on attempting a "from scratch" loom for my '76 K2 CB550 cafe / brat & I was planning on going down the M-Unit route. Certainly not cheap but perhaps an"easier" path for my limited knowledge of auto electrics (there's always going to be you guys & you tube to help educate me). However, just this week I've picked up on a similar but cheaper alternative solution.....namely, the Axel Joost B-Box & I was wondering if any of you had had any experience of the B-Box (I appreciate that although not universally embraced, the M-Unit is generall regarded as a decent bit of kit but I've never seen / heard anything mentioned about the B-Box)?

It seems like the main differences are that the B-Box is a cheaper option but that it has less whistles & bells & perhaps has a slightly less stealthy install (the components from Axel Joost seem generally larger so will take up correspondingly more real-estate on / in the bike). Cost is certainly up there when it comes to what goes into the build, but space is limited & functionality of the final solution is always being considered. I think I'm right in saying that once you're on your way down the Motogadget rabbit hole, it's Motogadget kit all the way. Is that the same with Axel Joost or can you use components from others?

I'd be grateful to hear anyone's experience, help, info or advice to hopefully move to pushing the button on the next big part of my project.

Thanks.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Motogadget M-Unit Blue or Axel Joost B-Box
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »
All i can say is never heard of it

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:22:36 PM »
Hi Brian,

Same here but it seems legit & potentially worth looking into for others in a similar position https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/axel-joost-m18

Being so hampered by my woeful lack of knowledge regarding electrics, being a lab rat doesn’t help calm my nerves  :-\

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 06:31:13 PM »
Lab rat and spanner brat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:27 AM »
 ;D Nice! I missed that one. Went with lab rat after having a mental block trying to spell ginnie...gunea....guiney.....guinnie......guiny.......grrrrrr

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 09:26:00 AM »
ELECTRICS i understand ELECTRONICS is way to complicated, i mean you take sand add some impurities get it hot and next thing you are on the interweb with a dumbfone!!!

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
M unit is a great bit of kit defo worth the money. I fitted one to my gs 550.im thinking of fitting one to the 400 four I've just started restoring.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 06:57:42 PM »
B-box deluxe. Was that nota band?

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 01:21:09 PM »
It looks like people may well know more about them than this alternative brain box (I wonder if that’s where they got the “name” from)???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal